This I Believe | Teen Ink

This I Believe

By E10Gray BRONZE, Kapa'a, Hawaii
E10Gray BRONZE, Kapa'a, Hawaii

Growing up as a child I’ve always heard my parents and my hanai family tell me that, “as long you put God and your heart into the center of your life, you can achieve the unthinkable.” That saying has taught me to put God into the center of my life so that I’m able to achieve my goals. As a kid you dream more than you can imagine and ideas just go off in your head like a firecracker exploding. Even as you are growing, you start to realize that there is more you can dream, more you can do, and more you can achieve. In order for you to achieve you just have to put your mind to it and believe.

Martin Luther King Jr. once said, “I have a dream” which that dream never stopped him from showing what he wants for the world and for his people. MLKJr was a great and powerful man who wanted to fight for his people to have the same rights as the white. Also so no white man or white women should the power to disgrace the blacks in any way. Nothing stopped MLKJr, he did what he wanted to do and he fought for it. He once said, “I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal." All he did to make rights equal was trust in God and put his heart/mind to it and shared it out to his people.

An experience showing my belief of accomplishing any dream as long as you put God, your heart, and your mind to it is when my team and I won the D2 state championship. Our dream which is winning the state championship starts at the beginning of every school year as we condition before the season. The mindset going into the season was very straight forward and to just play the game we were born to play. We needed to stay focused, trust God, and believe that we can have each other's back. Many people have doubted us along the way, saying that Kapaa will win KIF but we proved to our parents, coaches, and ourselves that we can do it. As the season went by we played our hearts out and gave all the glory to God.