Enjoying the Little Things in Life | Teen Ink

Enjoying the Little Things in Life

By zoejesh BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
zoejesh BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Growing up I always thought that my parents were happily married. They were practically inseparable, never doing anything without each other. However as I started growing up, I began to notice little flaws in their happy marriage. I started seeing them bicker, altering my view from a happy joy filled marriage, to not wanting to be in the same room. Then it happened.              

I was told one day that we were moving. Little did I know it would be without my father. Not only that, but I had to transfer schools on top of moving away from my dad. As Forrest Gump would say, “Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get.” That day I didn’t know what I was going to expect.  My entire world came crashing down, and I realized not all things in life are lollipops and rainbows.

The first few months not living with my dad were definitely the hardest. I no longer lived in a house where I could count on him to rescue me from my nightmares or make me laugh until I cry. It was just my mother, sister and me against the world. We called ourselves The Three Musketeers.

Sometimes days would be long and tiresome without him to add some fun. And most nights I would cry myself to sleep because I knew he wasn’t there. But as time passed it became easier and easier for me to accept his absence. However, I had to instantly grow up because of it. I didn’t get to do all the fun things young girls normally did. Tea parties and dress up weren’t part of my agenda. Most of the time I was watching my little sister. Without that, I wouldn’t be where I am today.

Years have passed and now I no longer dwell on the divorce. I am like any other hormonal teenaged girl. Hanging out with friends, and binge watching Netflix. Now it’s like the divorce never happened. I get to see my dad every weekend. During that time we watch movies, play games, go to the park, and my favorite watch baseball games. Each and every one of those activities are what keep my dad and I close. Without those visiting him every weekend would be like living under a rock. Boring and miserable. Well, not exactly like that but pretty darn close. If it weren’t for those things I wouldn’t be close to my father at all. Of course, it still isn’t the same without him in my life full time, I know he is always there to support me. 

If there is one thing that I got out of my parents' divorce, it’s this: No matter what may happen in life, I always have to get back up and brush it off. I can’t spend every waking minute of my life expecting the unexpected. Because of my parents' divorce, I’ve learned that life isn’t always what it seems. Nothing is always sunshine and happiness.

What happened between my parents is just one of the many things in my life that prove not all things are good. Sure not all things in life are terrible, and not all things are good. But that isn’t going to stop me from living my life to the fullest. I have to go through life appreciating the little things just a bit more. I have to be careful though before I know it all of it could vanish in front of my very eyes.