My Best Friend Left Me | Teen Ink

My Best Friend Left Me

By emily01 BRONZE, Fairfield, Ohio
emily01 BRONZE, Fairfield, Ohio

My best friend acted remarkably stupendous. She enjoyed my presence, she tended to my every need, and she spoiled me like the little princess I represented. She embodied everything I could’ve wished for. I thought I would have my best friend by my side all my life. That was until everything changed in November of 2010. 

One day as she got out of her steamy shower, she discovered a mysterious bump on her back; she didn’t really think too much of it. A few days went by, and the bump was still there; she decided to go to an urgent care just to make sure it wasn’t too serious. The doctors told her she had got bitten by a spider, and they gave her a prescription.  Ten days later-2 pills a day-she still had the bump. She went to her family doctor this time and he took a look at it. He ended up sending her to the hospital to get it tested. 

A few days later she got a call that drastically changed everyone’s life for the worst. “Your grandma has cancer.” My parents told my sister and me desolately. When my parents told me that she had cancer it was the most heart wrenching news I’ve ever heard. I felt my heart drop to my stomach faster than they could say, “It’s okay.” This was the worst possible thing that could've happened to me, I thought. After a few days went by, I got to go to the hospital she was in. It was so hard to see her hooked up to all those robotic, beeping machines. She had a smile on her face, but I knew it was counterfeit... She was just trying to hide the pain from me and everyone else she loved. 

The time was now around the end of December. My grandma got released from the hospital! The doctors said she was stable enough to go home, but she had to take it easy. I remember the first time I saw her at her house after she got released. She looked to be skinnier than before, and she also had a yellow tint to her face. She was super excited to see me, and I could tell that she was wearing a real smile that time. I spent as much time with her as I could, until she was admitted into the hospital again. This time she was in the hospital for good, unfortunately. 

Her cancer continued to grow, she had stage four cancer. It was all over her body. I tried to see her every chance I got. I only got to see her a few times while she was in the hospital for her last two miserable, dreadful, months. I remember sitting on her hospital bed with her one day, coloring wildly, in a princess coloring book. I would draw her pictures, and tape them all over her room, so she would think of me before she went to bed at night, and when she woke up in the mornings. 

One morning I was putting on my faded, blue, butterfly T-shirt, to go see her at the hospital. I was so excited, I packed a red, checkered, drawstring bag the night before with lots of games and activities that I planned for us to do the whole time I was there with her. As I was brushing my teeth I heard my sister start wailing in my mom’s room. "Shhh!" My mom whispered "I still need to tell your sister." I walked into my mom's room to see both her, and my sister in tears. I knew right then and there that I wasn’t going to be seeing my best friend today. I fell to my knees as I started sobbing and felt my heart tumble to the floor. "My best friend is gone “I thought to myself over and over again. “She’s never coming back." 

As I cried myself to sleep that night I thought about all the memories I made with my best friend. I told myself “I will always remember these moments". I was right, I still think about her every day. "I love you grandma, I'll see you soon."