My First Car Accident | Teen Ink

My First Car Accident

By Jordan_Erp BRONZE, Fairfield, Ohio
Jordan_Erp BRONZE, Fairfield, Ohio

Wow! I remember the bad times more frequently. I got into a bad car wreck, in Kentucky. I was with some of my close friends. Late one night and this happened around 10:00. Boom! Everything happened so quickly. I wasn’t sure what had happened. Lost and confused as I laid there.

So after the derby we packed up and headed back home towards Cincinnati. As we started packing things up and I questioned David and I say to him, “Who’s going to drive home?” He answered back to me by saying, “I don’t know yet maybe Seth because I’m really tired.”

By then, Seth ended up driving home, and as we drove further down the road closer to the highway, we go to turn and my life flashed before my eyes. Bam! All I remember was waking up laying across the front seat of the truck. Everyone else had got out of the truck, but couldn’t wake me up because I had a seizure. As I’m waking up myself, I heard this voice talking to me but just couldn’t make it out to see who it was. After time passed, I got worse. At that time, no one was there to help yet. We were in a small town called Carlton, Kentucky.

Afterwards, I finally wake up and I get to know my surroundings a little better at this point. My eyes begin to open. They stuffily go back to normal, but at the same time had some blurred vision with it.

But, as my body is shivering in cold chills I cried, “where am I, where are my friends?”

I was lost in my own thoughts. By then I reach for my glasses and they weren’t there. So I looked up and all I seen was a white celling. I asked myself “Jordan did you call mom and dad?” The more I thought about it I hadn’t even called my parents. They both were out of town. My dad was in Tennessee, and my mom was in Vegas for work. An hour and 30 minutes away from Ohio I was and they were even farther from me. I was in the back of an ambulance at this point. Shivering, my body knew the shock was traveling through my body. The pain was traveling through my body like a rocket on fire. I see all these people bending over me trying to ask me questions. I didn’t know much. I was on a CPR board—laying on a stretcher. I couldn’t believe I was in my first ever car accident. My boyfriend’s parents finally get there and my other friend’s parents arrive also. Lilly and David's little sister comes running in my room saying, “Jordan got a boo boo.” She jumped on my hospital bed and set the alarm off. So then my nurse comes in and asks why the alarm is going off and I just pointed to Lilly, and blamed it on her! Everyone got a kick out of it!

The old, vintage smell I smell laying there alerted me. I knew the smell of the hospital by the back of my hand by now. They immediately rushed me into the CT room to check my head and brain. They tested my blood sugar, my blood count, and my blood pressure. Everything came back so low. They were worried on how long it would take for me to get better. I didn’t know where my friends were. I do remember arguing with a nurse because she wanted me to take out my nose ring for my X-ray but I couldn’t get it out. When I got back into my small, cold room—my heated blanket had glass on it from the front windshield shattering down on me. I then look down and see this deep cut on my arm that they didn’t see and thought to myself, “How did this happen?” I wasn’t sure how anything happened. But they say everything happens for a reason!

I finally get all checked out and get in a room for good. I lay there in my bed for the remainder of the night in this hard, tight neck brace. I was there for about 7 hours while they watched us, and while my friends got checked out. But when I was leaving I had a conversation with my nurse about how long it would take me to get better.

I concernedly said, “How long till I can go back to normal activities for the summer?”

She replied with, “It’s going to take you a long time to get your back and neck strong again, but you’re very lucky you had an angel watching over you tonight” I was very shocked by her response to me. But in the end I am very thankful and blessed I had very few injuries on me.

I wrote this piece because I feel like sometimes people take life for granted.