Bonfire Pizza | Teen Ink

Bonfire Pizza

By LexiM BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois
LexiM BRONZE, Park Ridge, Illinois

My grandpa is a very traditional man, coming from Italy he has tons of family recipes. Whenever my family went to go see him in Florida he was always cooking for us, and having us help him cook. Keep in mind my family isn’t the best when it comes to cooking. We usually end up either burning the food, or completely under cooking it. So, when my grandpa does ask us for help in the kitchen we leave most of the actual cooking to him.

One day though, my grandpa thought it would be a great idea for all of us to make homemade pizzas. Everyone in my family gathered in the kitchen and started to collect all the ingredients they wanted for their pizzas.

Everyone was being completely chaotic, they were all over the place it was very hectic. After everybody got their pizzas exactly how they wanted them, it was time to put them in the oven. My grandpa had a brick oven outside on his patio, so everyone rushed outside trying to be the first to get their pizza in the oven. The very first pizza that went in was tiny, so it wouldn’t take long to cook. But, my cousin left it in the oven way too long, and it burnt to a crisp. My grandpa deemed the pizza inedible so he threw it into the bonfire, and we all watched as the first unsuccessful pizza of the night slowly turned into dust.