Wanderlust | Teen Ink

Wanderlust

March 26, 2017
By glitzygurl PLATINUM, Menlo Park, California
glitzygurl PLATINUM, Menlo Park, California
27 articles 4 photos 3 comments

If I had a billion dollars, I would first use the money to travel the world.


I would like to journey across the world because there are so many fascinating wonders that I have yet to see. I want to swim in the Mediterranean Sea, climb to the top of Mount Everest, visit the Great Pyramids, hike Machu Picchu and take a selfie in front of Niagara Falls.


Due to the current global warming and climate change, many individuals seem to forget that our planet will not be as beautiful in the future. In thirty years, all the coral reefs on Earth will be destroyed. I enjoy snorkeling, so I would want to visit the Great Barrier Reef and see the underwater world.


Because the world is always changing and new events are always occurring, I believe it is important to explore outside of one’s comfort zone. Growing up in such a fortunate area, many kids have never really experienced life outside of comfortable Silicon Valley. Traveling challenges you mentally and physically. Visiting many third world countries requires the willingness to stay in simpler hostels, endeavor different foods and expose yourselves to different points of views. It also forces you to embrace unique experiences and change the way you relate to others. Traveling allows you to take in new perspectives and receive a kind of education that you really can’t be taught in a normal classroom.


After I have travelled the world, I would then voyage to outer space in a rocket ship and walk on the moon.
Ever since I was a small child, I have been fascinated by outer space. I remember spending hours looking up at the constellations and observing the moon through a telescope. Some of my greatest childhood memories have involved gazing in awe at millions of twinkling stars.


There are so many space related questions that I still ponder today. Are we the only advanced life form out there? Why does the universe extend forever? I know that going to space probably wouldn’t answer these questions, but I would like to see the incredible universe for myself. I want to see our planet from outer space, and I want to be among the stars.


I understand that our planet has more wonders and adventures than any person has the capability to experience in a single lifetime. With a billion dollars, one can buy many things: a mansion, a superyacht, a fancy car, a tiny island in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. But, I believe that none of these material purchases are comparable to touring our world and the world beyond. The universe is a vast and mysterious place, and there are endless places to explore, both on Earth and in space.


So, if I had a billion dollars, I would travel. While outer space holds many wonders, there are so many phenomena everywhere. Even in my own town, I wouldn’t be surprised if there is something that may seem ordinary to me, but may be fascinating and novel for someone else.


The author's comments:

This article was inspired by my love for traveling and visiting new places.