Broken Up | Teen Ink

Broken Up

By kgarrett BRONZE, Wilmore, Kentucky
kgarrett BRONZE, Wilmore, Kentucky

Everyone knows how it is to play games with an ex. Maybe lead them on, or make them think y'all can fix things. Then there's the exes who continue to try and be your friend and act like you all never dated. There’s also the ones who only want to play with your head because they know they can. When I was little I took playing with my ex to a new level. I'll never forget the time when I was 12 years old and my ex and I decided to play actual games together.         

I was chasing Chase after being his first heartbreak. We dated for maybe a week then broke up.  Playing with him probably wasn't the best decision I could have made, but I was trying to fight him. His sister, my cousin, and my nephew were standing in the middle of the road. Chase was running up and I was behind him. My cousin ABC stuck his foot out to trip him but he jumped over it. I didn't see it, so I ended up tripping. I don't really remember what happened from the trip to getting up. All I remember was hearing about four breaks and then I don't know how, but I got up. I took off running to my house. I was freaking out because I couldn't feel anything in my arm and it looked really crazy, like something I’d never seen before.

I ran to my house I was cursing telling my mom, “call the ambulance." She was on an ankle monitor so before she called the ambulance she had to call the ankle monitor place. They tried to tell her that she could not go with me to the hospital because her probation officer couldn't approve it. They ended up letting her go with me.
When I got to the hospital I was freaking out and I don't really remember a lot of it. I just remember thinking that I was going to lose my arm. I thought they were going to have to amputate it or something like that.  They made me sit in a room because they didn't know the last time I had eaten and  I couldn't remember the last time either.  I had to just sit in that room for an hour to let my system clear out and everything. I couldn't move anything. I was just screaming and crying because I didn't know what was going to happen.

I had two of the bones in my wrist almost poking out of my skin, and my elbow was broken. I broke it clean in half.  The doctor finally came back to take me to get my x-rays. They had the IV in my arm already and they already gave me as much morphine as I was allowed to have. It wasn't working. I still could feel everything.
They were taking me to the X-ray room; my mom was still with me. I started feeling my IV pulling. The doctor got my IV stuck in the door handle and didn't know it. I just started screaming louder because I was already screaming, and I didn't know what was going on. Then my mom fixed it because it was almost out of my arm.  They started trying to do my x-rays and it was not as easy as we thought it would be. The way I broke my arm it wouldn't move--it was stuck in one position and when he tried to move it to a new position for the x rays it felt like he was rebreaking it and I couldn't handle the pain.

He called my doctor to see if I could get any more morphine or anything to help my pain. He said no I had to wait until they put me into surgery but they had to figure out what they had to fix first.  The doctor came out and he said, “We can't do anything for you unless you cooperate with us to get these x-rays."

I just kind of sucked it up and let them bend my arm however they needed to. That was probably worse than breaking my arm, but they finally came back and told my mom they were going to have to put me in emergency surgery because there were some veins and vessels and stuff that were tangled with my bones. The doctor said it was going to take five seconds for the medicine to work, and he told me to think about the last person I saw before I got in the ambulance: my brother Austin.

I went to sleep and I had a dream about my brother and I playing football in a blow up mansion--everything was indestructible. We were just running into everything; it was so awesome. Then, I woke up and there was a lot of doctors really close to my face. I kept asking them why they were so close. I couldn't wake up because of the medicine; for some reason my eyes wouldn't open which was scaring me. I swear there was a unicorn in the room also.

They all told me I was tripping but I saw it. It was above the doctor's head and they wouldn’t let me take it with me. This upset me more than it should.  I just went back to sleep. Finally, it was over, I could finally wake up. I was still dying of thirst and starving so they let me have a popsicle. They told me I couldn't have solid food. Well, I looked over and my mom was trying to hide donuts from me but I knew what she was doing. I was really upset about that.

The rest of the night is kinda a blur; everything was just really loopy for like 4-5 hours. Nothing really seems right. I was getting bits and pieces of what was going on with everything. I was staying zoned out into the little stuff. The doctors were finally letting me leave. This was the best news I had heard all night. I get up to go use the bathroom and my legs would not walk normally. I had to wobble like a penguin.

Finally I was home laying in my own bed.  Much was going through my head. I couldn't just think about one thing. But there was one thing that stuck out to me: As I was lying there that night I thought to myself, “I will never play any games with my ex-boyfriend again."