Letter to My Future Children | Teen Ink

Letter to My Future Children

February 22, 2017
By Anonymous

Dear my future children,


This is your “future” father, Colten Jay. I am 17 years old and a junior in highschool. I am writing you this letter to help guide you to a more successful and better decision making life than what I have. My life is going really well so far. But I have a slight problem.

I am so young, yet I am already starting to feel the impact from the many injuries that I have acquired. I was told to go to a chiropractor many times but that doesn’t help. I have been told to do physical therapy for my many injuries, but nothing seems to work. So, what do I do? I’ve tried everything that I could do to help myself but nothing seems to work. Do I just go through it and live a painful, aching life? The reasons why I have so many injuries is because of the decisions that I make.

I have been racing snowmobiles and riding dirt bikes since I was 3 years old. That is why I am writing you this letter. I want you to make the right decisions as you grow older. Do the rights things and learn from your mistakes. I have made many mistakes that lead to many injuries. I’m not telling to to stop doing the things that you love, but I am telling you to do things that you know you will be safe. Have confidence in what you are doing. I will never stop riding dirt bikes and snowmobiles. You will be raised the same way that my parents raised me, but I will make sure that you are going to be safer than I was.

As a child, my parents were divorced. I just thought it was normal for my parents to have two houses. I didn’t know better. My mother has been divorced up to 3 times. You will not have that problem with me. I would never put you in a situation like that. Yeah parents fight sometimes, but my real dad and real mom were divorced so they don’t get along. It’s really hard on me sometimes and I really wouldn’t want to put you in a situation like that. Whomever I get married to, I will love a lot and stay with them forever to protect you. Hopefully you will receive this letter after I'm married and about 8 years from now.


P.S. I look forward to meeting you in the future.


The author's comments:

This piece was generally written as a letter to give to my future children. I hope that people will learn that the decisions you make can have a greater impact on your life, and I dont want my future children to have to go through that.