The World Is Better When Everyone Is Trying | Teen Ink

The World Is Better When Everyone Is Trying

February 9, 2017
By Armaan BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
Armaan BRONZE, Los Angeles, California
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I believe that each person has the opportunity to make the world a better place. Everyone should take this opportunity and do their part in their community. I believe that small deeds can accumulate to something bigger. Belief is a way for us to show where we place our confidence, what we put our hearts into, our minds in. I put my mind into believing that each person has the opportunity to make the world a better place.


In my second grade Religious Education Class, I was learning about how to be a “good” Muslim. Ms. Sheliza taught us that a good Muslim was kind, caring, helpful, and someone who makes it a goal to perform good deeds. Jibran, a peer of mine, raised his and and asked what a good deed was. Ms. Sheliza responded by saying that a good deed was something that you did for someone else. She continued to say that we would be creating books where we write our good deeds for the rest of the year. We need to write 2 good deeds per day. I went home to think about this: Good deeds, what a strange word. I thought about how I help my mom by setting up the table (without her asking (sometimes...)), I thought about how I help a senior cross the street, I thought about how I help my grandparents with their I-phones. As I pondered about my situation, I came to the conclusion that I did not feel that I was making enough of a difference in my community or in MY world.


I set about with my little green and blue checkered backpack and a mind full of adventure to figure out a way to make my world a better place. I did some crazy searching too. I searched under the couch and inside the book cabinet. Soon enough I found it. I was sitting inside Jamatkhana, a place of congregation for some sects of Islam, our prayers had just finished and someone was on the podium making the announcements to inform us about upcoming events.  I heard something interesting, the lady introduced an organization, Aga Khan Foundation, that holds events in the Greater Los Angeles area, bringing awareness to projects that they do overseas. She continued to say that they were going to inform us  on how we could help after the ceremonies were over. She finished speaking and the “Jamat” (people), prayed one more time to finish our ceremonies.


Once our ceremonies were done, I rushed to the table, anxious to gather more information. As I was walking fast (running, really), I thought, “this is it.” This is how I am going to make a difference in my world. I saw the slick and professional table setting created by Aga Khan Foundation and I felt a shiver up my spine, Why would they want to help me? Why would they listen to a kid? Why would they want me to help them? I approached the table with caution. I buttered up all the courage that I had in me and asked about the organization and what I could do to help. They told me that I could help raise money in my school and create awareness around our community about what Aga Khan Foundation does.


I told my parents about this and they were very eager to guide me on how I can help. The next 7 years of my life had a large focus on Aga Khan Foundation. I spend time and money to reach out to my friends and school, my friends around my community, my dad’s employees and friends, my mom’s friends, etc. I talked about Aga Khan Foundation so much, I fell in love with it; what it does, why it does it and everything in between.


I believe that I could change my world and I believe that I am on my way to doing that. I am not Malala Yousefzai or Nelson Mandela, but I hope and pray that one day I will have done enough good in my world that in my head, I am Malala Yousefzai or Nelson Mandela.


The author's comments:

This essay talks about how one day I want to become someone who is proud of what they've done in the world.