The Beauty In Music | Teen Ink

The Beauty In Music

By patriciaxxr_ BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
patriciaxxr_ BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

Music. According to a prominent dictionary company Merriam Webster, music is “The science or art of ordering tones or sounds in succession, in combination, and in temporal relationships to produce a composition having unity and continuity.”  That is a profuse amount of words.  In simpler words, music is everything.  Music is everywhere. Music is beauty.  Music is life.

Envisage growing up in a world without music.  There would be no birthday song, no soundtrack in those Disney movies that everyone adores, and no concerts or music festivals.  That ulterior world is definitely not a world I would want to live in.  Growing up with music all around me, I would classify it as “very vital”.  Whether it is the pitter-pattering of the rain, the catchy music from vines that are ingrained into people’s minds, or even the music that I hear right now from the constant beat of tapping on the keyboards, music is unquestionably in everything one could possibly think of. 

Starting from the beginning, I was attached to music from a young age.  When I was five years old, I started dancing, taking classes in tap, ballet, and jazz.  Clearly, music is always used in dance.  After two years, though, I stopped dancing.  Did I stop loving music?  We’ll see.  At the age of 9, I started violin lessons, but it was not my forte, so I did not continue.  Did I stop loving music? Instead of dancing, at the age of 10, I began to play the clarinet in my school band for two years until I moved on to being the pianist.  I had to leave that school band because I moved schools. 

So, did I stop loving music?  No, I have not stopped loving music, and I do not think I ever will stop.  It can put a smile on my face and bring in sunshine when the whole day brought nothing but darkness.  I still play the piano and listen to music; many other people do too.  Moreover, this year, as I mentioned previously, I moved to a new school. Registering the day before school started, I did not know my schedule until the very first day.  By then, most of the electives were filled, and I was not able to choose one.  However, I discovered that I was put into a pop and rock class by my guidance counselor.  It is absolutely the best decision that another person made for me; daily, we listen to music and learn more about artists and genres and to say that it is just a regular music class is such an understatement. 

Furthermore, music is so significant, not only to me but to other people as well. Have you ever heard of someone who hates every kind of music in the world?  I hope not because music is beauteous.  Even if one does not have much vehemence for music, they still are connected to it in some way,  Some people listen to it just to listen to it, some use it for therapeutic reasons, and some may even use it to spread their message to the world.  Music has been known to break barriers and convey new ideas.  Undeniably, music has become the universal language that everyone can share together.  Realize what music is to you, and embrace what it has to offer.

I was inspired to write this from my personal experiences with music.  I hope that people will really see the role that music plays in their lives and realize what it can do.