Five Freckled Faces | Teen Ink

Five Freckled Faces

By ekrede GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
ekrede GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin

They are the only ones who comfort me. I am the only one who challenges them. Five freckled faces with sunburnt shoulders and blue eyes like mine. Five who complete me with laughter, love, and life. Five examples of a lack of sunscreen. From the sun, we see the freckles, but they ignore Mom and play in the sand.

Their optimism is obvious. They send smiles by doing simple things. They love loudly and care compassionately and grab our hands between their skinny fingers and start the day with a bright smile and never forget to laugh. This is how they live.

Let one forget their importance or value, they’d all remind them why she matter, and wrap their arms around each other. Laugh, laugh, laugh they say when I frown. They care.

When I am too tired and frustrated to keep laughing, when everything that day does not go my way, it is then I look at the faces. When there is nothing left to laugh at on this day. Five who always care endlessly. Five who forgive and do not forget to forgive. Five whose laughter gets me through my bad days.