I Believe | Teen Ink

I Believe

By NateTheGreat21 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
NateTheGreat21 BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

I believe everything happens for a reason

I believe that everything happens for a reason. Nothing in the world happens ‘just because’. Belief is the acceptance of something as true. I believe that nothing happens without a reason .I don't know why it is I believe this exactly but I know I do. It could be because my parents taught me to at a young age, maybe it’s because of all of the evidence around us . I don’t know for sure and I may never know but if nothing else, this moment in my life is proof.

In 5th grade, I studied my butt off hoping to have a chance at winning the spelling bee. I then competed against another 49 people for the title of school-wide spelling bee champion. I did this, spelling out words in my mind eventually freeing them from their prison into reality in the form of sound waves. It had come down to me versus Jack. After about 7 minutes of back and forth spelling, I won. Little did I know, my future friend was doing the same thing at a different school. I moved on to the county-wide spelling bee where I met Brady and competed with him for a couple of rounds after which I misspelled “arachnid” and walked down the hall of shame wishing I would’ve thought harder about it before saying it out loud. After a while my parents came out and tried to stay positive about my crushing failure. After another 5 minutes or so, Brady got out as well not knowing in that moment that we would become amazing friends in the future. We saw each other afterward when we were enjoying refreshments and were brought together by chance.

Ever since 6th grade (the year I became friends with Brady) I have believed that things happen for a reason. I think that me and Brady meeting by chance and becoming best friends later on in life couldn't have been a coincidence. Everything happens for a reason including my friendship with Brady. This, I believe.