The Accident | Teen Ink

The Accident

Dad had been depressed and a little crazy after the divorce. I knew he drowned his sadness in alcohol and worse, but this was the week I’ll never forget: the week of the accident.

It was a regular weekend. I was home playing video games and thinking about dad when I got a call. It was my grandma Blake, my dad’s mom . She had a voice that was thick  with worry when she said, “Your dad’s hurt. He got in an accident last night, and he is currently in urgent care.”

My voice cracked “Will he be okay?” She told me that the doctors didn’t know yet, but they thought he would pull through. I was worried; I can’t lose him.he was my dad and even though we didn't see eye to eye on most things, I love him.

I called his cell every day for two days until he picked up.
“Hey boy,” he said groggily.
“Dad,“ I whispered. “What happened?”

“I don’t know yet,” he continued. ”The accident report guy said I swerved to avoid a herd of deer and hit a tree.The last thing I remember is breaking through the windshield with my legs and crawling out.” I must've called grandma because she was over there in minutes.She said she called 911 and drove me to the hospital.” Dad stopped to catch his breath. “I got a pretty huge gash on my forehead, and the doctor says one of my eye sockets cracked.I’ll be okay though, son, I’m too mean to die.”

I hoped so. Without him, who knows what I’d do. So I told him that I would let him rest for a bit and that I would call him back later. What I didn’t know was that he would call me.

I got a call from grandma telling me that he got out of the hospital and was at her house. Being excited to see him again, I went right over. I missed him. When I got there, he  went to hug me, but winced. He was still hurt from the accident, and his back had hurt from years of physical labor.

”I’m sorry,” I said to him.

Dad smiled weakly and said, “don’t worry, son, I’m fine.” I could tell he was still hurting, but I didn’t bother saying anything more.

Now, normally when I go over to grandma’s, I either do my own thing or I sit and watch movies with dad, but this time, we all gathered around the TV, which was connected to her laptop.We watched Aquarius, Game of Thrones and Modern Family. We watched the shows and just caught up. Dad was excited; he was offered a job as a regional manager for a chain of car lots and was going to start soon. Grandma was telling us about some of her family tree stuff when there was a knock at the door. The dogs went crazy barking and whining, except for one, Kenedy, Dad’s dog, who was almost older than I was. He must of known what was coming next because he had his hackles up, and he was snarling. Then a light appeared in the window. Blue and red shining beacons of the Midland Police Department.

A police officer my father knew was at the door. ”Andy, sorry, but you have a warrant out on you, please step outside.”

“Can’t we just wait one more day,” my father asked. “You're gonna arrest me in front of my kid”

Then It began. Unfortunately, against my better judgement, I started to choke up a little bit. ”Please, don’t take my dad,” I begged.

“Son,” my father spoke, but this time  in a commanding voice.”Don’t worry, just please grab my inhaler.”I went and grabbed it for him. Before they took him away, my father grabbed me and whispered in my ear: “Don’t worry my, son, just stay strong; I’ll be fine.”

For the first time in about a week, I was happy, Then it all all came crashing down. But, dad was right, I did need to stay strong; crying was not what I should be doing at a time like this, so I started to calm myself. I tried to relax and not worry, but it was hard. I started to think about dad and almost started again, but I held it together for now.

For the next few days I hardly slept because I was so worried about him, eventually though, I was feeling better. About a week later I got a call from my grandma. She said “Your father’s going to be on trial here soon.” I wanted her to say something calming, but I knew the facts. Dad was facing six months minimum. There was honestly almost no way he was getting out of this one. Once again I had my world come crashing down.  I needed to calm down. But this time was different, I wasn’t really sad, I had come to terms with the inevitable and was prepared hear the news, but, spoiler alert, I wasn’t.

Igot a call in the middle of orchestra. Ms.Thoms was not happy, but the look on my face must of convinced her. I got up and walked over to her. I whispered to her my voice cracking with fear of the inevitable ““I… I need.. To take this call.” I shakely exclaimed. Her expression softened a bit, and she told me to go out in the hall to take it. I picked up the phone and was greeted by a familiar voice.

“Hey, son,” my father said in a pleased tone.

“Dad?” I was confused. I was sure that he was going away for a while.

“Yep, so I have been sentenced to a whole 3 days in jail with a fine and 6 months of parole.” I couldn’t of heard better news.

I cried, but this time it was tears of joy.