The Doors to a Different Reality | Teen Ink

The Doors to a Different Reality

By Estherdiaz BRONZE, Kissimmee, Florida
Estherdiaz BRONZE, Kissimmee, Florida

Everyone knows what comic books are. If not, they are familiar with them and the superheroes within them. Most people have gone through those glossy soft covers at least once in their life, or smelled the crisp scent of a freshly opened comic. These books have unique qualities that no other form of literature has. They are action-packed graphic novels full of superheroes and villains. These vibrantly colorful books are so easy to distinguish amongst other forms of literature due to the exaggerated characters, the iconic vibrant costumes, and the fascinating, diverse artwork.

Superheroes and villains are meant to be inhuman. Their superhuman qualities make them stand out from the rest of the world. Their muscular and veiny arms look perfectly sculpted inside their suits and spandex. The reason behind this exaggeration is to emphasize the distinctiveness of each character. Some are inhumanly strong; others have different ways of being extraordinary. For instance, villains are exaggerated in malevolence. They vary from psychotic to just purely cruel. A villain would have malicious yellow smile from ear to ear with bulging eyes, waiting for their evil plan to unravel. From inhuman abilities, to cold-hearted evil, these apparent traits will help in identifying the difference between a comic book character and others.

The first thing people picture when they hear “superhero,” is their colorful iconic costumes and looks. One of the most popular superheroes is Superman. Dressed in his blue and red spandex draped with his graceful red cape. A short curl is always brushing against his forehead.  Another recognizable character is the villain in Batman comic books: The Joker. This psychotic character is one of the most iconic villains in the world of graphic novels. He dresses in a purple suit over a green silk vest. His lips are covered in red, and always flashing a yellow smile. His hair is green as grass, with a pale white complexion. These iconic looks and outfits are the epitome of comic books.

The most eye-catching aspect of a comic book is the artwork. Each drawing is more exciting than the next. It will keep you wide eyed from the first panel to the last. Since there are graphic novels for virtually anyone, the artwork is very diverse. Children comics would normally have simple and flat looking characters who are not as dramatic. Teens and adults would normally appeal to the detailed artwork. Artwork that makes a character come to life with every pen stroke. The artwork will allow you to see the anger boiling in their eyes and grinding teeth, or the sadness in their brimming red rimed eyes. Varieties in the artwork make every comic as unique as the last.
Flipping through the crisp, shiny pages of a comic can be very exciting. Therefore, graphic novels are one of the most popular forms of literature. With the variety in artwork and stories, there is a comic book for everyone. They are easy to distinguish from others because of the aspects that essentially make a comic book, a comic book. Aspects include the iconic costumes and appearances, the exaggerated qualities of both superheroes and their villains, and finally, the artwork that makes all of the above come to life.