A Modest Proposal: A Satirical Solution for Texting and Driving | Teen Ink

A Modest Proposal: A Satirical Solution for Texting and Driving

By flib-cheese BRONZE, Freeland, Michigan
flib-cheese BRONZE, Freeland, Michigan

FOR PREVENTING THE ESCALATION AND LONG TERM PERPETUATION OF TEXTING AND DRIVING

It is a melancholy object to those who use cellphones while driving, realizing how big of a problem using an electronic device behind the wheel of a vehicle is. The many accidents, deaths, and, injuries, caused by the irresponsible users of electronic devices. The National Traffic Highway Administration in 2013, says 2,650 adolescents, ages 16-19, were killed in a motor vehicle accident, due to cellphone use. Another 292,000 were treated for injury(CDC, 2013). Social groups. People have to stay connected with each other, because that is the way of life now. Adolescents report that texting is the most common way that they stay in touch with friends (Lepp, Barkley, & Karpinski, 2014), sending on average of 100 texts per day (Nielson, 2010). Life and society is changing as we know it. With technology and inventions, they shape our everyday life. The problem, if not solved, will lead to an uncountable amount of driving accidents, and could affect the human population.

I think it is agreed by all parties that the life-threatening occurrence of texting and driving is a widespread problem and affects the lives of many great people. Distracted driving is the leading cause of death in motor vehicle accidents from ages 16-19. Evidence found in the adolescents population that use their cellphones while driving has been obtained through population-level self-report surveys. In 2014, 94% of U.S. drivers aged 18-29 reported owning a smartphone (State Farm, 2014). Therefore someone that could find a way to fix this expanding problem, should be treated and become as famous as any actor or actress.

But my intention is far from being confined to provide only for the betterment of the safety of people on the roads. It is worth many ideas and lots of thinking, but for saving lives people from all over should come and brainstorm ideas to prevent this terrible problem, causing many deaths of people like the good people around you everyday.

As my own part, i have studied the proposals of other projectors, and concluded that they are not nearly as efficient as they claim to be. Special phone safety apps, car features, and the growth of cellphone usage, is to much of a social phenomenon for people to understand the huge problem it’s causing. People disregard the safety of themselves and other drivers everyday due to the attachment we have developed towards these electronic devices. I propose instead of trying all of these little things to make the problem less, we end the problem all together in a simple, yet easy beneficial way.

I will now present my idea, which i hope will not be subject to any disagreement.

I humbly offer to public consideration that humankind as a cohesive and cooperative unit, should end cellphone use. And go back to writing letters. Cell phones do nothing but no good, and there is no reason to own one.

In this scenario: many people will follow the rules and at one point realize how unuseful and not beneficial cell phones are. More people will have a chance to experience life that way.

Of course if everyone got rid of cell phones, no one would be able to text and drive. People would write letters, but gosh I hope not while driving. But with the cellphones gone people would spend more time with friends and family's, and not be so stuck in “another” reality.

These drastic and sudden changes will change the lives of many many people, and people could even lose jobs because of this drastic change. But in the long run it will open many many more different jobs, which you interact in the world not through your phone. There are plenty of things that this world needs, and many jobs to be done that don't involve cellphones. Like fixing our roads, and fixing the environmental issues. Those jobs don't need the help of a cell phone.

I can think of no valid objection that may be introduced to antagonize this proposal, many people aren't gonna want to give up their cell phones, but if I can give a powerful speech to a big enough audience that could make an impact. I think people would realize how dangerous cell phone use and driving actually is. And realize what they are missing by being on it all of the time.

Again no one should dare to suggest these notions to me until they have a small spark of hope that these actions may be implemented.

It is not that I do not respect the input of others on the subject of solutions to this topic, but simply that I have researched this topic for about a week now. I read many many articles of both opinions on cell phone use while driving. But in conclusion the only way to prevent this problem from growing any bigger than it has already gotten, we have to band and take all cellphones. Without cellphones, this problem would not be the problem it is today. What's wrong with writing letters?

its long