Animals: The Deepest Insight | Teen Ink

Animals: The Deepest Insight

I would have never learned how I could get over fear. I would have never been able to learn how to be kind. I would have never been able to learn to understand others. If I never had gotten my Green Cheeked Conures I would have never learned any of these lessons. I would never have been able to see how I am able to overcome fear, understand others, or help something that needs me.

My Green Cheeked Conures were from a pet store. Before I got them, I would go to that pet store for my other pets. I would always wander the aisles and eventually would go to the birds’ aisle. I had a Parakeet and an older Cockatiel, named Peter, who was my best friend. That was the first time I saw the Conures. They were huddled together in the middle of the glass container that they were being held in. I began to talk to them and give them some attention. The one thing I saw in their eyes was fear.

A couple months before I got the Conures, my cockatiel had died. That bird was everything to me; he was my best friend. We ate buttery popcorn together. We did my homework together. However, I believe I missed most of all was his never-ending loyalty and listening. The gray bird would be a mirage on walls. His orange cheeks would appear in the sun and just about anything of the same color. I didn’t think I could ever look at another Cockatiel again. It felt like I would never move on from Peter. The weeks past in a blur and I couldn’t help but mourn my best friend.

Even after my Cockatiel died, I visited the Conures, they didn’t remind me of Peter at all; Peter and the Conures were as different as night and day. I pitied the Conures whenever I saw them. They were locked in a cage with plastic surrounding them and ignored daily. They also had to deal with the constant tapping on their container. I slowly feel in love with those beautiful birds.

Their gorgeous dark green body feather was the color of fresh dew on green grass. The red plumage of their tail feathers was the like gentle tongues of flame. Their dark, black heads could give midnight a run for its money. The birds were gorgeous and in my opinions, perfect. How come no one had already bought these beautiful gentle souls? 

I asked my mother about Conures since she worked in my grandmother’s pet store. “Nikkola, why would you want a parrot? They bite, they screech, they’re messy. I don’t want you to get the birds and then ignore them.” My mother wasn’t fond of birds and their beaks. And she had a point. I didn’t like it when my cockatiel had bitten me.

My father loved birds. “Ryan, your daughter wants those birds in that pet store.” My mother told him. “Let’s go see them,” he said since after all he loved birds; especially larger birds.

Needless to say, we went to the store and we bought the birds. We picked out a nice large cage, and got food and toys. We went home and began to set up the cage. After two hours, the large red cage was set up and Dad opened the box with the birds in it. The birds’ went off the rocker. Both birds flew in different directions. I went after one and my Dad went after the other. My bird had fallen on the floor and began to walk towards the kitchen. I caught the bird and felt the green bird dig its dark, sharp beak in the flesh in my hand. “Ouch, Ouch, OUCH!” I yelped as I held the bird when walking it towards the cage. The bird squawked and quaked angrily against my fingers. After what seemed like forever, the bird escaped my fingers with one final squawk and hid in the cage, glaring at me. “Did that bird bite you? Let me see.” My mother looked at my hands and sighed. “Get the antiseptic spray and a band aid. You’re bleeding!” I looked at my hand to see the dark red blood oozing from my hands. My hand ached. It hurt much worse that when my cockatiel bit me. I was afraid of those birds’ beaks. There was practically no comparison.  I did not want to get bit.

From past experiences when I am afraid of something I’m fearful permanently. My aunt, who has tamed many parrots, looked at me sternly. “Do you want to just give up on ever handling those birds? Might as well just keep their cage shut indefinitely. You’re afraid of them!”

”I’m not afraid of them, Aunt Cindy,” I said feebly.

“You’re petrified. If you want to ever handle them and not just shut the cage permanently, you need to get over this fear.” She said as she grabbed a bird from the cage and began to hand it to me.

I looked fearfully at the bundle of green and red feathers that was being handed to me. “Please don’t bite me, please don’t bite me.” I mumbled while the bird sat on my chest looking at me with a very sharp beak. The bird glanced at me with an innocent expression.  She walked onto my shoulder and sat against my chin. She played with my shirt and I relaxed. “Who’s a good bird?” I murmured as the bird curiously watched me. “Mom, look!” I nearly yelled out of excitement. The fear that was rooted deep in my gut slowly receded.

“Nicki! Nicki!” My birds were screaming my name. “Nicki’s coming, calm down.” I mumbled sleepily.  I never got up before 10 o’clock in the summer before, but these birds have a schedule. I had to get up before 9 o’clock or the choruses’ of “Nicki’s” would come from their cage.

“Dance, Nicki!” ordered my bird. “Music, now!” The Conures loved to dance to music, however, the one bird, Cricket, wouldn’t dance without me. Cricket glared at me with her bright, black eyes. I smiled as the bird stepped onto my hand and danced on my hand with me. If I hadn’t had these birds for so long, I wouldn’t have been as patient since I just wanted to be lazy and play my iPad.

“That bird keeps you busy, doesn’t she?” My aunt smile impishly.

“Yes she does.” I answered.

“And to think that you were afraid of them...” My aunt began.

“I wasn’t afraid!” I said cutting my aunt off quickly.

She looked at me, shook her head, and smirked.

“Ok, ok! I was petrified!” I admitted, knowing that no matter how much I said that I wasn’t afraid of them, it did no good. My family knew. It was time to admit it to myself. I got over a fear. And for me, that was once insurmountable.

“Love you, Nicki!” Cricket screamed and I smiled. “I love you too, Cricket.” The bird gave me one of her birdie kisses with her dark beak, nuzzled her black head against my cheek, and cuddled under my chin.

My birds have taught me many things. They are the reason that I hold my belief of loving an animal will teach and give a person insight on what his or her abilities and strengths are. We still will have many years together and that excites me. I would have never been able to conquer fear and know my abilities. I would have never learned how to expand my heart and move on. My birds need me and I love them for it. They’re my chance to learn and grow. To have many years with them is wonderful. I cannot wait to see what they will teach me in the coming years.

This was a narrative essay for school that I wrote. It is something that I truly believe in. Animals are the deepest insight to oneself and my experience with my Green Cheeked Conures have taught me that.