A Day in My Life | Teen Ink

A Day in My Life

By Testarosa SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware
Testarosa SILVER, Wilmington, Delaware

I was only 12 years old when this happen so i didn’t understand much at the time when my mom will be telling me the biggest and emotional 4 words of my life. My dad was in and out of the hospital and my mom was in and out with him just trying to help him out as much as possible. I thought he was just sick like he had a cold or a fever but in a couple of weeks i noticed that he starting turning yellow and has lost on an average of 50 pounds. My parents own a small grocery store and it was hardly open, it's was weird because it's used to be open at 7 a.m and will close at 12 at pm and 7 days a week without opening later or closing early. In a period of 3 month the store would opened 4 days a week and would open around 3 pm and close around 8 pm. I like i said i was only 12 years old, so every time i saw the store close i would be very happy because i would hope on my Xbox 360 and have more time to play with my friends online. I will never forget the 4 words my mom soon told me next day i came back from school.

I remember it  like it was yesterday, those next 5 and a half months will never be forgotten. I came back from school and my mom recently started to give me a house key due to her and my dad not being home after school. I was ready to play my Xbox 360 when my mom calls me and tells me “ your dad has cancer “ i thought different because she was crying and i could barely hear her mumble the words out her mouth and then she repeated herself. I was just shocked that that point and she told me not to tell my sisters anything. You know how kids are, “you tell them something and it goes in one ear and out the other”, once my 3 sisters got home i told them the news but i said please don't tell mom i told yall just acted surprised and  or if she tells you. My mom came home later that night and we asked her  “ where's dad “ she told us that he won't be coming home for a while. She told use he will get better and a kids you trust what your parents tell you. When she was by herself i told her “ you shouldn’t keep a promise that you can't keep” then went to bed.

Two months later my mom told me and my sisters that the doctors said he only had 5 to 6 months to live. She told use that in October and he was diagnosed with cancer in August. So i just hoped he would be alive until Christmas. I started sleeping in class and not doing my work but my friend  were the only reason i was happy in school and it kept me from being notice that i was depressed inside of me. My dad came home a little before November and at he would do is sleep in his bed and stay there all day. My mom would bring him food and within just a spoonful he would run straight to the bathroom and vomit. He had lost so much weight at point it didn't even look like him anymore. Lucky he he got up for thanksgiving and we felt like a family again. As you know it's was December at this point and do you know how bad it feels knowing that your dad could die any moment from now. Weeks past and we were just a couple days away from Christmas and i will pray to god to give me a Christmas miracle. He made it past Christmas and on New year's eve her saw the countdown on tv and the ball drop.He could stay home anymore.

January, rolled around he was in the hospital and they told use they couldn't do anything for him, the cancer was too late and he was so weak he wouldn't be able to take chemo. The appointed us to a hospice near are home. We contacted one of our cousins that we don't talk to for a while due to some family issues we had in the past. There's a saying and it's when a family member dies it bring people closer together. My dad passed away after being in the hospice after two weeks. January 27, 2012 will be the date i will remember until i die.Before he past away he told me that if i don't help around the store my mom will end up in the same place because he said your mom doesn't have it in there to run the place, she's just holding the store for you until you're able to sun the place yourself. Work hard and that store will give you anything you need in your life. I was in and out of school and my friend new about my dad and they tried to do everything possible so not say anything that will upset me in anyway.

Now am 16 years old now and a Junior in high school i working in the store like i own it. I know we can't spent much to pay bills, taxes, and so we can have money to eat, something i didn't understand as a kid. When i needed money i will got straight to my dad and he will give me anything i wanted. Now i know you have to work hard and be motivated to strive for success. Am now working on going to college and being bigger then my dad wanted me to be. You might not see him but he's up there watching my everything move, i will make him proud of me every time i have a chance too because if he was he now i would be living in a different dream but it's my choice.