*Insert Their Name Here* | Teen Ink

*Insert Their Name Here*

By pai GOLD, Carteret, New Jersey
pai GOLD, Carteret, New Jersey

"Selfishness is one of the qualities apt to inspire love." Nathaniel Hawthorne.

She fell in love with a boy, because she knew she could trust him. She fell in love with his smile, his laugh, his hands, his heart, his soul. She believed that they could work. She fell in love with a boy, because he was kind, and funny, and not immature like every other guy in high school. She liked the way he talked about music, and how he sang with power and passion. She liked how his green eyes could make anyone stop and stare, especially her. She loved that he could crack a joke without being mean. She liked how she could open up to him quicker than she had with anyone else. She loved that, actually. She loved being friends with him, and she didn’t want things to change. She loved the way things were. She dreamed about going to prom with him. She dreamed of her red ball gown and the way his green eyes would light up when he saw her. She loved that dream. She loved him, but he didn’t know.

And he didn’t love her.

He didn’t love how she would sit and listen to his jokes. He didn’t love how she would compliment his nose, or his smile, or his eyes. He didn’t love how she laughed a lot and sang a lot and frankly didn’t care a lot about what other people thought of her. He didn’t love the smell of her hair, or the color of her eyes, or the look of her soul. He didn’t love how she got nervous talking out loud, or occasionally stole his jacket, and maybe even cracked a joke herself. He didn’t love how she talked, or smiled, or laughed, or loved, or thought. He didn’t like her brain, because it wasn’t full of the things he wanted it to be full of. He didn’t like her soul, because it was too wild. He didn’t like her heart, because it would beat too fast when she was around him. He didn’t love her love.

And he broke her heart.

Not a word he said, not a breath he breathed. He just--did. And she lived with it. She plastered a fake smile on her face and talked to her friends like she was mad, but really, she was heartbroken. And it wasn’t because he didn’t love her the way she loved him. But he didn’t tell her. He didn’t let her know. A friend of a friend of a friend of a friend had to tell her. She had to have her heart cast out in public. She acted fine. She talked normal. She just didn't talk to him. Because why talk when you can just ignore each other, right? But the saddest part was she missed him. She could sit there and watch him insult her, tease her, hit her, and she would’ve been okay. She may even have been happy. And that ripped her apart.

This piece is almost a year old. I was too scared to post it. But things are different. Now I want him to know. I want him to know.