Genuine | Teen Ink

Genuine

Sometimes nerves and fear cause us to be less than ourselves.  When we make a first impression on someone you don’t want to do something to mess it up, so obviously we will be nervous.  Not being genuine to yourself can hurt more than help.  His name was Dylan. He was tall and handsome with perfect brown eyes. He was always smiling. Dylan was also kind of nerdy in a really cute way. She was short with dyed blonde hair and had beautiful blue-green eyes. She used to be a really happy person, always laughing and smiling. They had been texting everyday for just about a month.  Now she hated relationships like this. They liked each other, but Dylan was too scared to talk to her in person at school. He told her that he can’t talk to girls. She didn’t think much of it. When you like someone as much as she liked him you look past these things. In her eyes, he was perfect. He would always tell her how much he liked her and he was tell her goodnight every single day. He never missed one. The little things tend to mean the most. People like this become to mean a lot in life. They give you a reason to wake up, to straighten your hair, to put on makeup, they just make you strive to feel good about yourself. They give you purpose. She was on her way home from New York. Long car drives are always when they talked the most. Dylan brought up hanging out on friday. She thought to herself that it was too good to be true. Then Friday rolled around. She wasn’t nervous. She got out of the car and walked to the front door feeling more excited than any other emotion. Then, he opened the door. Nerves began to take over. She froze. Time stopped. She had never seen him so up close before. Why was he even more handsome this up close? What if he doesn’t like me? He’s way too good for me. All these negative thoughts took over her head. The whole evening was really awkward. She knew it was awkward but that didn’t take away from the fact that she had the most amazing time just looking at how perfect he was, and watching him smile. They watched a movie and went for a walk around town. However one moment stuck out to her. They were sitting on the curb across the neighborhood at the church. It was nighttime and the stars were just so beautiful. He leaned back and looked up at the stars and she did the same. Dylan looked over at her and smiled. She could feel him lean closer but he back away before anything happen. Even though nothing happen it was perfect. She couldn't even focus on the stars because he was more breathtaking than any amount of stars in the universe. Neither of them really said much to each other. She was just so scared to mess something up with him. Dylan kept telling her not to be nervous around him. She knew that she was not being genuine to herself. Once she got home she texted him and thanked him once again for having her over, and she apologized for being shy. That was the first night of many to come where Dylan did not tell her goodnight. He didn’t text her the entire weekend. She went up to him at his locker on Monday and he was very short with her and he just walked away while she was trying to talk. Now she knew something was up. She didn’t give up, she texted him one last time just to see what was going on. Dylan told her he didn’t like her like that and they were just too different. She was crushed. Everything she had was gone. Dylan didn’t talk to her ever again after that. He was her best friend, they would talk about everything. About their future and what they wanted, and to have everything end so fast, killed her. She no longer had a reason. She no longer had a reason to wake up, straighten her hair, put on makeup, or anything. All of this happen because she was not being genuine to herself. From this day forward she would never make that mistake again. Being genuine is something so simple, but it was so hard for her on that day. Always be genuine to yourself. No matter how nervous or how scared you may be. Being genuine is always better than not being genuine. If someone doesn’t like you for yourself than they aren’t worth it. She will always regret not being genuine. She knows it would be so much easier to move on from him if Dylan stopped liking her for herself and not the girl she was that night. She was no longer that bright laughing person. Hasn’t been genuinely happy since that day. It's crazy to thing one little mistake ruined the best thing that happen to her. I lost my purpose. It’s been 1 year, and I still haven’t found my new purpose.

This piece means a lot to me.