You only get one shot | Teen Ink

You only get one shot

May 19, 2016
By Peyton_s_25 BRONZE, Palm Desert, California
Peyton_s_25 BRONZE, Palm Desert, California
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

“There may be people with more talent than you, but there is no excuse for someone to work harder than you.” This quote by Derek Jeter inspired me to work harder to pursue my dreams to become a professional baseball player, but one day I was in a dilemma. I couldn’t choose between staying in baseball or leaving baseball. I wanted to stay in baseball because it was my life. I wanted to leave because I was not playing enough games in the season. My coach didn’t want me to play because I couldn’t hit as well at the others. Then I got one shot to change everything. I got one chance to prove that I was good enough.


When I stepped on the field I thought about how people said I wasn’t good enough. I thought that I sucked at baseball, I thought I was never going to make it to the Major League Baseball. None of that stopped me. When I first stepped on the infield, it reminded me of when I first started playing baseball. I was awful  back then. I didn’t know how to throw a ball right, field a ball right, catch a ball right or hit a ball. I literally knew nothing about baseball.


The first second baseman made a lot of errors. That is why I was playing.If he didn’t make errors than I wouldn’t be playing.  If I let my coach down then I would never play baseball again. The first batter struck out.


The umpire shrieked, "Strike one, Strike two and STRIKE THREE YOU OUT."


One of my teammates yelled, "One out two to go."


The next batter hits a single in the gap. Luckily the centerfielder grabbed it before the fence or we would have been in deep trouble.


The whole infield roared, ¨Infield turn two outfield go three.¨
           

If the ball got hit to me I was going to throw it to second base. Sure enough the ball was hit up the middle so I did a backhand stepped on second and threw it to first. A DOUBLE PLAY. I turned a double play. The parents are cheering. It sounded like we were playing at a major league stadium. Ryan Rodriguez, the shortstop said that I turned a nice double play.
When we got to the dugout the coach whispered to me, "You earned a spot kid."
           

Unfortunately we lost both games that day. During the car ride home my parents were telling me about how proud they were and how my hard work payed off. On day two of tournament we did alright. I started at second base and played there the whole day. It was near the end of the day and there was a hard ground ball up the middle and I DOVE. I FINALLY DOVE. The runner was safe but I was shocked that I dove because I was always scared of getting injured while diving.
           

In the end I still play baseball. I like baseball because it is more a mental game than a physical game. The famous quote by Yogi Berra says “Baseball is ninety percent mental and the other half is physical.” My friends say that baseball is easy until they try it. After they try it they say ¨You were right baseball is hard.¨