Birthdays | Teen Ink

Birthdays

By Sarah123456 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Sarah123456 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

It was the three hundredth and sixty-fourth day of the year. It was the day that marked the end of one age and the beginning of many great things to come.

I closed my eyes and dreamed about the exciting New Year ahead of me and hoped that my eighth year of life would be full memories and special things. Things I would remember for many years to come.  My eyes drooped closed and my thoughts shortly turned into dreams. The sun’s rays broke the darkness of the night sky about ten hours later waking me. My feet hit the ground as I raced through the house, across the hall into my sister’s room, then to my brother’s room and then my parents, waking them all up. I raced down the stairs almost tumbling and tripping to the bottom. As I reached the bottom of the stairs, the pretty bright blue color of an uncountable amount of balloons filled my eyes.  It was so pretty and everything was perfect. The streamers were flawlessly strung and my special breakfast was still warm. It was the start to a great day.

As the years went by, each birthday somehow seemed less exciting, something I no longer counted down the days for and somehow that once very special day turned into a day that seemed more and more ordinary. I did not realize it then but each year came with responsibilities, more things to worry about and more things to stress over. I wish I knew that every birthday was not going to be as special as they were when I was a young child. Somehow I wished I had cherished them more and knew how special they were at the time. I wished I had realized and now knowing how birthdays become less of a celebration.

Now, during my first year of high school on most days I wish I could go back to my preschool and elementary school days where one of my biggest problems was what to do during recess time. It would be nice to relive a day that was simpler and less complicated. If I went back, I would be more grateful for the long hour of sleep I once used to get and more thankful for the people that made decisions for me. It was life where you did not have to think as much and realize how actions would affect other. I would go back if I could. I definitely did not appreciate my childhood as much as I should have.  I want to remember what it used to be like before homework and practices mostly consumed my life. I want to go; yet I do not think I ever could. However, realizing the freedom I have gained since then I would be hard to get used to. I realize that each day that goes by, the older and older I get and closer to another birthday. When new responsibilities and problems come along I will be ready. Ready to take on what the next year has in store. Life will get even more complicated and even more stressful, but hopefully I will mange. I imagine, I will look back many years later and want to go to my high school and even my future years in college. I would see a time that was more free just like I saw my younger years of childhood. And now I realize not to countdown till the next birthday, but to remember and cherish the excitement I once felt on my birthdays from my childhood.