The Monstrous Beast | Teen Ink

The Monstrous Beast

May 18, 2016
By Echurgin BRONZE, Suffern, New York
Echurgin BRONZE, Suffern, New York
3 articles 0 photos 1 comment

The wait was terrible. The fact that you didn't know what was going to happen terrified me the most. All of the people waiting in line, some scared some excited and some, like me, who were both. We got closer and closer. I could hear the loud thunder, screaming to everyone that this was no joke. I held my father's hand and squeezed it tight as if I was never letting go.

I saw one kid about my age who had finished the ride, she looked happy, like she accomplished one of her fears. But I just kept hearing what my cousin had told me in my head “I hope you don’t die.” I knew she was joking but how could any 9 year old not be scared of going on a monster that whips you around like you're a tiny little bug?

The line felt like forever. It had only been 20 minutes but it feels like hours. I could see it now. “It probably goes about 80mph” the man in front of me said. I looked at my brother, who didn’t look like he cared and then at my dad, he looked back at me with a smile that made me feel like everything in the world was going to be okay.

We were next in line. I just wanted to get on it already. I was so anxious.  I could feel the butterflies in my stomach fluttering around. The lady who seemed to be controlling the monster demanded us to get in the seats. I wanted to turn around and run to my cousins who seemed too afraid to go on, but I couldn’t! I needed to do this, as if my whole life depended on it. I sat down and straped the buckle around me. “Here we go” I thought “Can’t turn back now” I sat in between my brother and my dad just in case I were to fall out when we dropped back into earth at a speed of 80mph. Here came the count down...

3,2… BLAST OFF

The cart flew on the track like a spaceship flying into space. I heard my dad screaming his head off and I could feel the rush of air on my body. All I could think was “I never want this to end!” I could feel all the butterflies flying out of my body as if they were too scared of this monstrous beast. It was too dark to see anything so all you could do was hope that there was no break in the track. We did flips and corkscrews and went up and down about 50 times. When the monster took a sudden stop everyone on it knew it was over but wanted it to just keep on going. I felt a jolt of happiness and I was proud that I didn’t run off the line crying. I can now brag to my cousin that I did it and she didn’t.

Why was I so scared? That was the coolest thing in the world. My brother who never ever shows any expression on his face actually was smiling. So was my dad, so was I, we all shared a bond that day and we all felt like we accomplished something. That little 2 minute ride made me feel so great. That’s why Disney was created, to make dreams come true. When we got to the exit I ran over to my cousin and said “I didn’t die! I survived the Rock’n Roll Roller Coaster!”


The author's comments:

This is about a tme I went to Disney World with my family.