First Homerun | Teen Ink

First Homerun

By Jason Carpenter BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas
Jason Carpenter BRONZE, Olathe, Kansas

Who would have thought that the ping of the ball hitting my bat would instantly send a cheer throughout the crowd? Who would have believed the act of jogging around the bases could leave me feeling on top of the world? It all started on an ordinary weekend, in an ordinary baseball tournament. It wasn’t the hottest of days, but it was a summer day without a doubt. We were in our third game of a possible five-game series, and, as the game progressed, my team was down by two runs in the top of the sixth inning.  This inning was our last shot to win the game and advance to the semi-finals. There were two outs, and my team had runners on second and third. That’s when the opposing team determined that they had a better chance of getting the last out with a force out at any base, and so their coach told the pitcher to walk the hitter in front of me.  Now, the fate of our team was on my shoulders.

The bases were loaded when I came up to the plate to try to make something happen.  I was so nervous that I was practically shaking, and all I could think of was just trying to put the ball into play. As it turns out, I did a lot more than just put the ball in play, and I ended up hitting the ball over the fence for my first home run ever. I had managed to come back from a 1-2 count, and smack that perfect pitch just right  to send it over the outfield fence. At first, it didn’t even occur to me that I had just hit a home run, as I started sprinting toward first.  But, about the time I rounded the base, I realized that the ball had left the field. Not only was this a home run, but was a grand slam home run! My team was so excited that they all ran out to home plate to meet me, and when I crossed everyone began cheering and jumping up and down. Our team managed to hold off the other team during the bottom of the sixth inning, and we won the game, thanks to my hit.

After the game, I came out of the dugout smiling from ear to ear, and everyone came up to congratulate me. One of the parents from our team had gone out into the field and retrieved my home run ball and gave it to me to keep.  I made sure the ball was nice and safe tucked inside my bat bag. After that, time seemed to fly, and before I knew it, we were on our way home.

That next day, our team went on to place second in the tournament after some hard fought games. When we finished our last game of the tournament, I was given a home run tournament t-shirt, which I still have to this day. To celebrate my performance, my family let me choose where I wanted to eat, which made me feel great.  Overall, this was one of my proudest accomplishments and happiest moments of my life because very few kids my age get a grand slam home run to bring their team to victory.

Although I have continued to improve as a hitter since then, I have yet to hit another ball over the fence. I have been close many times, and I have even gotten inside the park home runs, and ground rule doubles, but none of these can compare to that day when I cranked it over the fence. I plan to keep that baseball the rest of my life, and I plan to show my kids and grandkids one day. I will always remember my first homerun, and what it felt like to trot around the bases, feeling on top of the world.