Just Jump | Teen Ink

Just Jump

“It’s right up here.” My brother Derek said pointing up the path. He is always seeking out new places alone so he could show people. He’s a wanderer. This must have been his favorite place because Vermont has a lot of paths and roads to discover especially near our camp ground. We arrive at a large dirt turn around with four trails that connect to it as if it is a rotary for cars. He starts walking to the right. My cousin Nathan and I stop so Derek could lead the way.

Once we turn right and took a few steps on the new dirt path, there are two more paths. The one straight ahead went to an old bridge with a broken metal gate that try to block the entrance with NO TRESSPASSING and DANGER signs posted all around the unprotected gate. The other river went down to the river with a wide gravel road that leads the way; it is so steep that you had to pray you wouldn’t fall. When we reach the bottom you could see the river better than ever. It sparkles as it reflects the sun and you could see the rocks sunken at the bottom. Above the river the old rickety bridge balances on two massive rocks. A short swim across the river right above the rock an old-looking rope swing hung, and when you look up there are older ropes that wrap around poles under the bridge.

That old bridge that rests above us isn’t much from underneath, just old greenish dark brown wood beams. Some spots are even darker as if there isn’t anything there, and two rust poles that are parallel to each other. After an hour of swinging on and off the rope swing, hoping that it doesn’t break as our helpless bodies swing over the hard rocks, Derek swims back to the other side, where we entered. He turns to us, ”Come over here!” the curious teenagers we are, we stop swinging, drop the limp rope and jump in the water and swam towards Derek. Once we are able to balance on the rocky shore, we dry ourselves off, waiting for what he wants. We follow him back up the hill and pray once again that we wouldn’t fall. He stops right in front of the blocked off bridge and didn’t say anything.

“Oh, hell no!” Nathan backs away, understanding what Derek is implying by standing there with a smirk on his face. Nathan went back down to the river where the rope is and left me to make my own decision. Derek opens the gate and slid through like a bunny crawling under a fence.

“Just lift this part of the fence up and climb through sideways.” He pushes the broken fence up to show me which side to lift up. It looks like my decision is made for me, I trust Derek he would always look out for me. I grab the fence with my cold hand and stretch it open, just enough to slide a body through but not bend the fence. I put my right leg in first and then slid my torso in, then my head. As I pull in my left leg the fence slips out of my hand a  massive scratch is left on my shin, I wish I brought my pants because I’ll be questioned about that later. A soft “ow” falls out of my mouth; I stand up quickly and rub the scratch as if the pain is going to vanish.

I look up and realize that the bridge is lighter than I thought; windows are placed on the side, something you wouldn’t be able to see from the outside. Three squares illuminate the ground from the windows and even more light came in from the missing beams in the ceilings. With each thoughtful step I took, my eyes never left the ground because who knew if this bridge is able to hold us. “Watch your step.” That’s something my mother would always say to us when she wants us to be cautious, I look up to see Derek jumping across the beams. I proceed on walking except now I’m following his wet footprint trail he left behind. I notice there are wood beams missing on the floor, that’s probably what the danger signs were warning me about.

I continue with following the footprints and then reach an actual foot. I stop and look up to see Derek with half his body in the bridge and the other half hanging out of the third window. He stood up on what must be a ledge outside the window and took a few steps over so I could stick my head out. His hand tightly grips the windows’ side and I look at the ledge where only half a foot could fit. His back is firmly pressing against the outside wall and he looks at me. Fear rushes through me as I realize what I was dragged into. His hand still grips the window “When you jump you need to jump to the left.” He looks down and took a leap off the tiny ledge, he threw his body slightly to the left and screams “Woo!” as his body smacks the water and the rest went under.

“What does he mean, jump to the left, will I die if I don’t jump far enough?” I look out the window where my brother could have not possibly jumped far enough to the left. The river still moves and the water now wrinkle from where Derek entered moments ago. Nathan cheers for him as I look to see if a body is going to float up or swim up. “What will I tell my mother?” I thought when it took too long for him to come up. Finally, his head arose from the water and he swims toward the rope swing where Nathan is standing.  Thinking of every fatality that could happen, I step on to the ledge, only half of each of my foot could stand and one hand grasp the window, that’s all that is keeping me balance. My heart is racing as I look at the drop, might as well die having fun right? I notice more people have come to see my amazing circus trick; they all stare up at me, 7 pairs of eyes stare at one frighten girl. I move to the left more with my wet feet sliding hoping, once again, that I wouldn’t fall.

“Jump, jump, jump!” multiple voices yell at me, it’s not like they are about to do this. I lean on my right leg and push off towards the left. There’s no turning back now. It felt like I am in slow motion, the river didn’t flow and the trees didn’t blow, and I say one last prayer as I jump into my fate. I pull my legs up in a cannon ball position with my feet slightly below me so that’s what would take the most impact. “SMACK!” I hear just before water rush over me and I quickly soar under water with swooshing noises that pull me farther under. All I knew is to start kicking my legs and moving my arms in an up and down motion.

When my head finally breaks through the water, I look up to see worry faces start to smile, laugh, and cheer. I swam to the rocks where my brother stood and he helps me up. I hear kids say, “I want to do that” and others saying, “I’m defiantly not doing that.”

My feet start to tingle and sting as Derek picks me up out of the water, “Wasn’t that fun?”