Gender Stereotypes Opposing Political Women | Teen Ink

Gender Stereotypes Opposing Political Women

April 26, 2016
By Mpark18 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
Mpark18 BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Richard M. Nixon once said, “A woman can and should be able to do any political job that a man can do”. Each year, women run for political positions. Critics take into account their views, beliefs, and accomplishments. As soon as they become popular, the pundits, or political critics turn every fault against them. People still wonder if sexism still has influence in the world of politics, it does. Stereotypes are in the way of American women. It forces female candidates to achieve more in ordered to be qualified. It causes women to be discriminated at campaigns, and it results in a lack of female politicians compared to other countries.

           

To begin, gender stereotypes force female candidates to strive for qualifications in the political world. Female candidates are criticized more than male candidates. When, “... a woman gets more successful, she is less liked by people of both genders…”(Schall). Successful women should not be criticized for every misstep in their careers. This chastising turns people away. There is a constant stereotype that men are superior, and faultless in the political world. These women should not have to jump more hurdles than men in order to be deemed qualified in politics. According to Barbara Lee from the Boston Globe Magazine,“men are more than 80 percent of Congress, almost 90 percent of governors, and 100 percent of past presidents”. This is unacceptable. One would question that there has been no female United States Presidents. There should not be eighty plus percent of male political leaders, with these intelligent women taking up the lower percentage. Gaining an equal percentage of female politicians should be our next step. The stereotype of the superior male needs to be vanquished. This gender stereotype is why there has not yet been a female president. Each gender must have equal chances of achieving a political position with qualities that most benefit the role. These gender stereotypes have been in effect for centuries. The women stay home and tend to the house. Then, men go out and be leaders. Although there is only remnants of this, there are still, “barriers between women and the oldest old boys clubs” in the political world (Lee). These barriers, or stereotypes need to be discouraged. People do not believe in a lady leading this country. These successful, smart, and strong women are being judged on their make-up, hair, and mistakes. They need to be judged, like men, on their character, experiences, opinions that are beneficial, and passion. As of right now, female politicians are oppressed and scrutinized for being themselves, and for being a woman.


Additionally, stereotypes cause women to be discriminated while campaigning. They are critiqued on clothes, hairstyles, and beliefs. Some, “never forgave [politician] Martha Coakley for jokingly calling Curt Schilling a Yankees fan for agreeing with Rudy Giuliani” (Lee). People heavily criticize when it comes to female candidates. One small joke could lead to a decrease in likeability. Critics look for a slip-up that could trigger negativity of a female’s campaign. It is like critics are pushing female candidates into a mold no one can fit. Martha Coakley, made a mistake. She slipped up, and the critics made it her downfall. The stereotype of men being better was marked on her campaign trail, and hurt her in the long run. Another female leader who has constantly been under target for missteps is Hillary Clinton. Clinton, has many years of experience, and success in government, yet she is criticized and called emotional (Steinem). Hillary Clinton in one of many female politicians. She was First lady, Secretary of State, former Senator of New York, lawyer, and is leading democratic candidate in the 2016 presidential race. Throughout her entire political career, she has dealt with the stereotype of being a female politician. Hillary Clinton, is under fire for a personal email scandal that pundits only used for their attacks on this politician. Her mistake was met with anger, drama, and a cause for redemption. Female politicians are,”being considered too emotional by Washington pundits” (Steinem). On the campaign trail, females are criticized, essentially, for having womanly qualities. They are called emotional, and are judged by what they wear, how they speak, and what their views are. Critics are trying to fit a political woman into the mold of a political man. These stereotypes are keeping females from showing emotion, and being who they are without being judged and criticized. Therefore, female candidates suffer from stereotypes on the campaign trail.


 Furthermore, stereotypes results in a lack of female politicians compared to other countries. The United States, “...is way down the list of countries electing women…” and needs a woman president (Steinem). A majority of other countries have had female leaders, and the United States is not one of them. For an developed country, it is disappointing that America has not achieved equality between genders. “Currently 18 female world leaders, including 12 female heads of government and 11 elected female heads of state” reside in political offices, this portrays that the world is making progress, but not by much (Kent). Although there are not many female world leaders, the U.S.A should have one. This country need to overcome this old world stereotype, and elect a female leader. Female leaders, “account for about one-in-ten of today’s leaders of United Nations member states. All over the world there are still gender stereotypes. However, other countries have succeeded in electing or appointing a female leader. The United States needs to overcome these stereotypes and elect more women into political offices. The United States is behind. Overall, America needs to get equal political representation for both genders.
           

Some pundits may say that females only care about health laws. Women politicians top arguments are about birth control which is classified under health (McCutcheon). Everyone should be concerned about health. It determines how one lives their life. In contrast, health is the highest debate topic with both genders. The percentage of bills for health with women was 63.1% and 44.9% for men (McCutcheon). Additionally, health bills are proposed the most by both genders. Thus, both male and females care about health bills.
               

Evidentually, these stereotypes need to be vanquished. In order to achieve equality in our imperfect world, we need to have an equal amount of male and female leaders. While men fought wars, the women had stayed home and tended to the home. When the men traded with the Native Americans, women sewed clothing and cooked for the children. It was never the women trading with the natives, or fighting wars. Society has evolved. We as a whole need to achieve equality. Would you want to grow up as a woman, and have limited choices because you are not a man? Gender inequality still exists in the political world, and needs to give way into a world where the political world is equally influenced by men and women.

 

 

Work Cited
Steinem, Gloria. "Women Are Never Front-Runners." The New York Times. The New York Times, 07 Jan. 2008. Web. 30 Mar. 2016. .
Schall, Marianne. "What Will It Take to Make a Woman President? | TIME.com." Ideas What Will It Take to Make a Woman President Comments. TIME, 08 Nov. 2013. Web. 29 Mar. 2016. .
Lee, Barbara. "The Real Reasons We’ve Never Had a Woman President - The Boston Globe."BostonGlobe.com. Boston GLobe, 20 Oct. 2015. Web. 29 Mar. 2016. .
McCutcheon, Michael. "9 Reasons Why America Should Never Have a Female President." Mic. N.p., 13 Apr. 2015. Web. 29 Mar. 2016. .
Kent, Lauren. "Number of Women Leaders around the World Has Grown, but They're Still a Small Group." Pew Research Center RSS. N.p., 30 July 2015. Web. 11 Apr. 2016. .