Just the Little Things | Teen Ink

Just the Little Things

March 17, 2016
By sisterrr BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
sisterrr BRONZE, Portland, Oregon
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

In the beginning of all of this happening to her, when I found out how sick my grandma was getting, it was getting worse, I thought she wasn’t going to make it on my sixteenth birthday. My grandma went in for colon cancer and they did the surgery but then they screwed up on sealing her intestine. She had to go in for a second emergency surgery and that second surgery caused her to have a stroke and paralyzed her whole right side including half of her brain and her ability to talk. A few weeks go by and she hasn’t gotten any better. Tomorrow’s my birthday and I can’t even hear her tell me happy birthday.

     

Well today is my birthday and my friend got me this good luck wish box, Legend has it that you write on a piece of paper and write your wish and tear it off and put it in the box. When I found out about my grandma becoming paralyzed and her not being able to speak anymore, I just lost it, first it was just her getting sick and now this. I felt like I had lost my best friend. I didn’t know how to handle it, she’s never going to speak or walk in her life again.  I was furious and sad; I was sad-mad.

       

Weeks have gone by and they just keep getting worse and worse. I wrote on a piece of paper, “ I wish my grandma will get better and come home.” I also put a necklace she gave me that I loved to wear and I put it inside the box and I put the box aside hoping that it will work, or at least something good would happen. I didn’t tell anybody about it, not even my mom.  Three days later my mom gets a call from the doctor saying she is finally fully awake and she is talking; they said that she would never be able to talk again in her life. I couldn’t believe it and it didn’t occur to me for about a week about the box until I found it again. I went and showed my mom and she looked at me and told me that if it wasn’t for me, my grandma would have probably never made it. I learned to give hope and to not hesitate on talking to people because you never know when they just might leave this world, so don’t take things for granted and just have faith that it will all work out.


The author's comments:

My grandma was world to me and when she got sick I was only sixteen and I thought my grandma would live for a long time, at least to my eighteenth birthday. But my family brought her home and we took care of her for two years. For those two years it tuaght me patience and responsability. I hope readers know that you never leave family behind no matter what the issue is. If it was you, wouldn't you want them to do the same for you?