Language | Teen Ink

Language

By nataliebates BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio
nataliebates BRONZE, Cincinnati, Ohio

Language is the very basis of human survival. It wasn't until humans had a developed language that they were able to thrive as a society. It’s the major difference between humans and animals and it’s the key reason humans are seen as superior. It’s the only way we can thoroughly understand one another. Language has the power to unify all people. Imagining a world without language is a scary thought. There is power in words that is undeniable it’s stronger than any action known to man.

An important part of language is being able to express yourself fully. There is an advantage to enriching your knowledge of your known language(s). Being able to fully articulate your thoughts and feelings makes people interpret a person better than those who can not. This is especially true in America where people put high standards on foreigners who can’t fully speak English. “Yet some of my friends tell me they understand 50 percent of what my mother says. Some say they understand 80 to 90 percent. Some say they understand none of it as if she were speaking pure Chinese. But to me, my mother’s English is perfectly clear, perfectly natural.” (Amy Tan). The way a person talks is seen as a direct reflection of that person's intelligence. If the person has broken English, they’re dumb, if they use big words and articulate well, they’re a genius.

Language helps to persuade. Leaders utilize language every time they do anything. Language can fire up a nation to start a war, or it can calm a nation and get them to deeply care about an issue. Without language it would be difficult to be a nation as 1 it would be divided even more than it is. The difference between languages is what makes us separated as the human race as it is. The language barriers that exist are prevalent in today's society, they hold us back but somehow manage to push us forward. Giving us new ideas through new languages and the increasing amount of people speaking multiple languages pushes us forward even more.

Language is what makes us human. It gives us the will to live or but has the power to tear us down. It is immensely powerful with nothing else able to surpass it. As a human it’s our job to be able to thrive as a person and one can do this by just learning to speak and write well. Language is an important thing, America was started with the biggest rule of all: freedom of speech.