Equality Starts Now | Teen Ink

Equality Starts Now

By ejpatt BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey
ejpatt BRONZE, Wyckoff, New Jersey

I sometimes wonder what makes me worth less than someone else. I am smart. I am strong. I am an athlete. I am a good friend. I am confident. I live in a nice community. I know I can achieve what I put my mind to. I am brave. I am a teenager. I have blonde hair and green eyes. I care about the world. I care about myself. I understand people’s feelings. I am adventurous. I conquer my fears. I am tough. I’ve experienced the highs and lows of life. I’m not put down easily by others. I have fears and emotions. I know I have a voice. I want to have success in my future, but there’s one thing about me that makes me believe that I won’t… I am a woman, and I live in a world where my type is viewed by some as worthless.

I live in a world where a man’s work is worth 21% more than mine. Despite the fact that I have been successful in my lifetime so far, my achievements will never meet up to the standard of a man’s. I have a chance of undergoing some form of violence or harassment in my lifetime because I am a girl. Women account for 70% of the people living in poverty around the world. Fair wages aren’t enforced and therefore, we have a lower chance of success. People around the world think that women are weak, and they think they can hurt us verbally and physically, but we go through tough times and persevere, just like men. Not to mention, we are similar in many other ways as well. Because of our gender, women don’t have the chance to shine and show the world their true value, just because we are judged from the outside. People make assumptions, based on one of many categories that I fall into, that I can’t and won’t achieve and succeed.

One obvious fact that not many people think back to is that I did not choose my gender or any of my physical traits at birth. I was born a girl. Gender is one of the most abused diversities worldwide, yet it is a completely unchosen trait. Women make up nearly half of the population. This means that some people view half of the world superior over the others. Even some presidential candidates hold women to a lower value than men. Gandhi once said, “Our ability to reach unity in diversity will be the beauty and the test of our civilization.” This is a true and beautiful quote, but currently, our diversities set us apart and create chaos.

Throughout my lifetime, I have looked up to many people who have set examples for me and showed me true human values. Often, my idols are women because although they sometimes compared to men in success, I know that they had to work so much harder to overcome what some people would consider reality: that they will not achieve and succeed. I know that successful women defeat the odds and push through the judgement and cruelty of others. I know that because I am strong, smart, brave, and most of all confident, I have a chance of becoming a role model in the future to other women who don’t think they can be a success. Even though my gender is supposed to put a limit on my achievements, I have a determined mindset to fight for my rights and create an amazing future for myself. I am a woman, and I am prepared to have people in my life who judge me and make assumptions based on my gender. More importantly, I am a woman, and I am proud to be one.

I am an eighth-grade student writing for social justice. Although it was a school assignment, the topic was one that I chose. I am very passionate about my rights as well as the rights of other women in the world.