Millennium Thrill | Teen Ink

Millennium Thrill

By KristofferHoffman BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan
KristofferHoffman BRONZE, Clarkston, Michigan

Early Saturday morning we hit the road to one of the biggest and best amusement parks in the world, Cedar Point. I decided to bring my friend, Brendan Dicker with my family and I. Even though Cedar Point will be a blast, I wonder if I will be able to ride the Millennium Force? I am pretty scared of heights and a max height of the Millennium is 308 feet! My friend Brendan and I decided to search up, “Millennium Force POV (Point of view).” 

As we watch the video, the rollercoaster slowly climbs up the starting hill for a total of about 30 seconds. Then, it’s the climax of the ride...the 90 degree drop. It looks scary from the video but I can’t imagine what it will look like riding the roller coaster. Even the camera shakes in the video as the roller coaster goes at a max speed of 93 mph.  After the drop the coaster makes some sharp turns and goes up and down a little bit and it is over. The scariest part of the ride will be the super steep drop. As we drive we get closer and closer to Cedar Point. 

We get hungry and stop at one of my favorite restaurants, Five Guys, and we eat. After eating, we hop back in the car and continue our drive. To my right and left is deserted farm land with nobody in my sight. Eventually we turn left and then we can see Cedar Point far up ahead. To the right is Lake Michigan and to the left is lake houses. As we near Cedar Point I can see the Top Thrill Dragster in the distance as well as the Millennium. We enter the parking lot and park. Brendan and I grab a handful of swedish fish to eat before we go in. I smear my face and arms with sunscreen. Then, we all go into the amusement park.

"This is going to be so much fun!” I tell my friend, even though I am quite nervous to ride the larger rides.

"Yeah, this is going to be really fun," he responds.

We purchase our tickets and give the ticket holder our ticket. She tears it and gives us the bottom slip. We all spot a nearby chairlift and hop in the short line to take us to the center of the park where all of the good rides are. I look into the distance all around the park in the hot summer day as we get pulled slowly by the chairlift.  Once the ride is over, we get off and decide to do the Iron Dragon, an easy ride with my whole family since the girls are scared of doing the bigger better rides.  I ride the Iron Dragon but am constantly thinking about if I would be brave enough to ride the Millennium. The Iron Dragon was an easier ride, but it must not even be close to how scary the Millennium must look or feel. 

"Do you guys want to do the Millenium Force right now?" My dad asks my friend and I.

"Yes!” My friend responds energetically as I say a causal "sure."

As we walk there, my heart is pounding louder and louder as we enter the line. We go through a super long line path and we got lucky that the line was only 20 minutes long. Soon, we are allowed to find our spot on the roller coaster. My friend and I agree to go in the middle to front of the coaster. I get nervous waiting in line and it gets even worse when they open the gates for us to go in. I quickly get in and make sure that my seatbelt works and then pull down the lap belt. The announcer who is running the coaster gives his short advisory speech and the roller coaster starts.  t slowly goes out of the tunnel station and creeps up the long hill for the largest drop of the ride. I glace over the left of the rollercoaster nervously as the people and cars get smaller and smaller. I have never been this high on a roller coaster in my entire life (until I rode the top thrill dragster)! 

I start to hear the very front of the rollercoaster dip and I hear screams. Then our cart of the coaster starts to dip. I clench onto the lap belt and look straight down. A large gust of wind hits my face as the roller coaster drops, increasing speed. My stomach goes in due to the humongous drop. The rollercoaster maintains its speed it finishes it’s drop and turns right. The roller coaster is not scary at all now. It goes up and down and through a tunnel. Before I know it, the ride is done. As the roller coaster comes to a stop, my lap belt goes up, and I climb out of the Millennium feeling weird after riding it. 

“I can’t believe I did that, it was so scary!” I think to myself. 

Surprisingly, I chime in and say, “We should do it again!” Everyone agrees as we walk out of the Millennium's station and we go in front of the roller coasters sign. Brendan and I smile, creating this memory in my mind for the rest of my life. My first and hopefully not last time on the Millennium Force.