Makeup Is an Art, Not a Mask | Teen Ink

Makeup Is an Art, Not a Mask

By McCoy BRONZE, Riyadh, Other
McCoy BRONZE, Riyadh, Other

There are so many misconceptions about makeup artists and people who wear makeup; assumptions are made that the reason we wear makeup is to hide something we don’t want the rest of the world to see. This isn’t the case. I mean sure, makeup is great to cover up a few blemishes here and there, but really, makeup does not reconstruct who you are as a person and what you present to the world, it only helps to enhance the person you are.  As expressed in Independent, makeup has developed so much as an art form.

Makeup is an art; the eyeshadows, eyeliners, primers, foundations, etc. are your tools and a fresh face is your canvas.  You use these tools to manipulate the face into something that you choose, or your person chooses. Living art is created, you the artist and your person the artwork. Everything about makeup is the same as any other art, details and design.

Becoming good at makeup requires practice, constant practice, on yourself and anyone you can lay your hands on. Makeup is an ever-morphing art, not one face is the same as another. Every face is constructed of different features put together for you to make artistical sense of. Every new face that comes to you is potential, something different for you to work with. You learn how to work with their face; the indents of their cheek bones or lack thereof, you highlight and contour their nose creating a slimming illusion, rouge colors are lain on their cheeks, eyelashes are curled and lengthened, you apply different shades of colors and intensities to their eyelids, accentuating their natural eye color and eye shape, you paint their lips with tones you see fit, you bring out features in their face that they themselves may have never noticed. You create an art piece out of a person.

Like any form of art that is practiced, it makes you notice details. You are able to truly see the person, see what makes them who there are and what creates their look, see details that may be overlooked by others. You become more aware of who they and what makes them, them. Curves, indentions, colors and pigments that would best suit them. You become an observer, not in a judgemental way, but in a way in which you see the person, for everything that they are and for everything that makes them individual.

Taking on makeup as a daily art and practice has made me more appreciative of people having different skin complexions, face shapes, hair styles. It has made me a more observant person and, at the same time, a more accepting person. Art has no boundaries, no gender, no age and no race. Like The Daily Aztec perfectly phrases, "It's your makeup, your choice." Art is what you make of it, and in this cause, who you make of it. No artist limits themselves to one canvas, one medium, one rigid way of things, and that’s why this certain art style produces a more tolerable community, one in which I am proud to be a part of. With 196 countries, 6,500 languages, and roughly 4,200 religions, it gets tough being able to adapt to the differences, and I believe makeup is a small step towards making it easier.