The Brussel Sprout Disaster | Teen Ink

The Brussel Sprout Disaster

By marycatea GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
marycatea GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Christmas was always my favorite holiday. My whole family would come to my house--cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, everyone. We would exchange gifts, prepare a nice ham dinner, and relax and watch christmas movies while eating the pumpkin pie that my mom prepared. My dad and uncle usually stay upstairs to watch some sports game on TV. Meanwhile, my mom and aunt cook dinner for the family.

My cousins, siblings, and I usually watch TV or figure out something destructive to do. We were playing Just Dance on the Wii, and then it hit. A little after 5:00pm, my cousins and I began to smell a very foul smell. Imagine vegetables mixed with sewage water. That was the smell of the leafy brussel sprouts that my aunt thought would be a wonderful dish to make. She was wrong.

The whole entire house began to smell like sewage, and it was gut wrenching. The smell began to creep into the glazed ham, garlic mashed potatoes, and sweet corn: and suddenly I had lost my appetite. I went to sleep on an empty stomach, along with my cousins and siblings.

The next morning, after leaving the windows open all night and letting the cold air creep in, the smell began to fade. We turned the brussel sprouts fiasco into a never ending laugh, and my aunt will never live it down. This was one holiday disaster.