Peet Peeves | Teen Ink

Peet Peeves

By marycatea GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
marycatea GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

My biggest pet peeve is when people chew with their mouth open. The reason this bothers me is because it is absolutely disgusting.  I will never understand how people think it is okay to hear the sound of food crunching in their mouth. My mom does it the most. I was driving with her the other day and the music was very low because she had to listen to the GPS, and then she pulls out a bag of crunchy Panera potato chips. The agonizing sound of the chip crunching between your teeth, it kills me. As soon as i hear the sound, it sends a shiver down my back. It makes me want to get up from the table and never go back.

There has been many times before when I would get up from the dinner table and leave. I would get grounded because it was “rude to leave the dinner table”, but I would rather go phoneless for a week then listen to the sound of people chewing their food. When people chew with their mouth open, it leads to them talking while chewing. Then you can see the food in their mouth and sometimes it falls out of their mouth, and that is not okay. I feel as if people in 2015 should have more manners and class, and should act more like humans-- and not like wild animals.

I have a 6 year old brother and he never fails to get on my last nerve. He eats so much food and he knows that chewing with his mouth open with cause me to go insane, and it entertains him. It is probably the most annoying thing in the world. Habits like this should be broken when you are still a child. Imagine going to a business lunch with a possible employee, and they chew with their mouth open. It would make you not want to hire them, because they are rude and unmannered.

If everyone decided to have manners and chew with their mouths closed at all times, I believe the world would be a more peaceful, and happier place. If you do this, please please please stop.