Dear Writer's Block | Teen Ink

Dear Writer's Block

By Veron56 GOLD, Loveland, Ohio
Veron56 GOLD, Loveland, Ohio

Dear Writer’s Block,

This really just isn’t working.  You enjoy coming to me when I’m sitting in front of an open document, raw and ready to be filled with wonderful ideas, or when I’m faced with a fresh piece of paper with a pencil in hand.  I will be completely honest with you when I say that you’re very rude to come and steal my ideas and drain my creative thoughts.  You take them home to your big square home where you archive and chronicle every single juicy idea that you’ve stolen. It isn’t nice.  And the thing is, I’m not the only one, am I?  How many other girls have you been seeing? And guys for that matter?  Am I not good enough?  I can’t be in a relationship with someone who is polygamous.  Stealing ideas is also a capital offense on my chart.  Even though a creative thought is not something with mass and volume, you can’t just go steal it away.  It’s rude, and mean, and honestly I’m sick of it!  Now you’ve been kind enough to just take the really good ideas and leave me the mediocre and asinine ones.  Thing is though, those ok-but-not-spectacular ideas just aren’t good enough for me.

You’re very draining, I’m afraid, and you leave me tired and grumpy that I wasted an hour in front of a blank document, physical or computer, with no ideas and no words flowing out of my fingers.  The moment I leave to do something else, you might let some of my ideas back but take them just as soon as I sit down again. Thus, I end up submitting my average writing to magazines and writing sites and get rejected, which makes me hate my writing more and makes me write less. So here it is, plain and straight: we’re over. You and me are done. Finished. I’m abjuring you.  No second chances, no contact, we can’t even be friends.  It  just really isn’t going to work.  I’m heartily sorry it has to be this way.

Sincerely (but honestly, with utmost dislike),
Veron56