Falling Off My Bike | Teen Ink

Falling Off My Bike

“Mom, I am going to Skye’s house,” I said.
“Okay. Come back at 6:00 to check in,” my mom replied.
“K k,” I said as I walked out the door and got on my bike.

It was summer and the sun shined brightly. I was in 4th grade. I was riding my purple bike through my neighborhood. I got distracted and my bike crashed into a curb. Falling off my bike was not fun. When I fell off my bike I fell to the side, my lower legs were burning so badly and when I looked down I saw blood oozing from my knees.  I had big scrapes.

I tried getting up; it hurt too much to do anything. The scrapes felt like hot fire on my body. When my mom saw me on the ground with the bike on me, she came dashing over to me. “Are you OK?” She looked serious and concerned. Then she helped me home.

When I got home, I dropped onto the couch. When my cousin Daniel got home he saw me on the couch and asked, “What happened?”

I cried ¨I fell off my bike on my way to Skye´s house¨. 
¨Ouch,” Daniel replied.
I said ¨I know...” He made me feel better because he showed me he cared.
Then my other cousin Marcos showed up. He looked at me and said ¨What's going on?”
¨Then Daniel said, ¨Somer fell off of her bike¨.
¨That sucks, Cuz, ¨Marcos replied.

It took me a week for all of the scrapes to go away. I was cut up on my legs and elbows- that was the last time I got hurt really bad on a bike. Paying attention when you ride a bike is important. It changed me by making me understand to pay attention and not get distracted. When riding a bike you probably want to wear an Helmet, knee pads and elbow pads. I learned that if you get distracted you might go out of control and hit a pothole or the curb and then fall off. When I fell off my bike the first time, I decided that if I watch where I am going and block everything else out, I will probably never fall off my bike again.