Why Should We Write? | Teen Ink

Why Should We Write?

December 28, 2015
By meerasobti GOLD, Singapore, Singapore, New Jersey
meerasobti GOLD, Singapore, Singapore, New Jersey
15 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"The mind is everything. What you think you become."


Every sentence was dark, dark chocolate, or nothing less than strong cinnamon, ginger or saffron, each word purely rich, purely flavourful. Never was there a phrase dissolved into the milky blanks of the tawny pages, bland. I tried not to overlook anything, or read without consuming, devouring every bit of it, and pausing to let its content melt through my veins and let me feel everything I could. If an author is able to have this impact on a reader with their writing, then they have succeeded. ‘If there is a story within you, it has to come out.’ – William Faulkner. As people, we have to be greater than what we suffer. Pour everything you’ve ever felt, everything you’ve ever noticed into your words. Everything, everything, it must come out for those who write know how to turn pain into sour bliss. When we read, we are no longer ourselves, but experiencing the escape velocity of something entirely different and unknown, a place where a characters bliss becomes our own, a place where every sentence brings you into its world of either summer days or let it be a winter haze, we are brought to adventure, to feel and most of all to escape, escape, escape. Let your writing bring people into your world, the way you see things, what you have felt, what you have noticed; everything in that head of yours is worth a million, and it must come out.

Writing gives life its meaning. Writing lets humans be together, and all the different personas and real characters in this world are one, and connecting with each other through the one thing they have in common- which is life. The hard times, the joy, the indulgences and the dislikes. When each of us has all these things, how are we any different? Scenarios are never the same, but emotions are common between all human beings. Everyone, everything, every moment is a part of you. Writing lets us taste, lets us decipher, solve problems and find comfort. Writing is not over analyzing or squeezing at the fruit of life, squeezing till it is rotten and brown in your hands. Writing is about tasting the juice, and only once you taste it can you appreciate and savor its goodness. It lets you fully appreciate the succulent sap of life, which is not to be mixed up with overthinking it. It lets us see clearly. Writing is not wallowing in pain, writing is relating with others, evaluating the way you look at things, finding the good in the bad and about seeing your pain as just a story and nothing more. People write about human nature, and do not do so by over analyzing, but through finding the time to simply write about life, the life that flows through us all.