An Open Letter to My 13-Year Old Self | Teen Ink

An Open Letter to My 13-Year Old Self

December 24, 2015
By ShanelleFernando GOLD, Sewickley, Pennsylvania
ShanelleFernando GOLD, Sewickley, Pennsylvania
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Currently at seventeen years of age, I really wish I had known certain things about life before this point. For any thirteen-year old readers, here’s some advice to (or not to) live by; I’m just saying my opinions from experience but of course your experiences could be different.

First, learn someone’s name when you meet them. Time and again, I embarrass myself after forgetting someone’s name after I’ve just shaken their hand. Commit it to memory. I don’t have any tips or tricks for doing this, but just do it. Because if you’re like me and like to talk to others, you’ll find yourself at formal events and dinners where you’ll need to know people’s name. Think of it as networking only you’re just completing the first step:  getting to know someone’s name.

Second, if you’re a girl this next piece of advice applies to you. Understand how to coordinate outfits. I have no shame in saying that even at seventeen years of age, I have worn questionably matching outfits to important events, church, school, you name it. People give me weird stares and it feels super awkward. So don’t be that girl who doesn’t understand how her wardrobe works. It might just be me, but being a lazy person also doesn’t help that much in this process. I tend to throw on whatever looks the most appealing in my closet that morning, regardless of whether anything really matches (shoes included).

Third, for those of you still with me, I appreciate it. My advice may only apply to me but I’m glad it’s finding some value in other people’s lives as well. So another thing is to listen to your parents. Growing up with a single mom this was always hard, especially since I doubted EVERYTHING (and I mean everything) she said--if she told me I shouldn’t wear an outfit to school, I wore it (aka refer to second piece of advice), if she said that I shouldn’t throw a party two days before a test, I threw it (along with my new Statistics grade), and if she said that I was better off running everyday after school, I didn’t do it (again, I’m a lazy person and quit the cross country team years ago).

Fourth, I understand that this is getting long but it’s Christmas Eve and I’m in the giving spirit so bear with me. Use things and love people. Never love things and use people. Although I can’t take credit for this piece of advice (I heard it in a graduation speech once) it’s undoubtedly very true. As humans we are vulnerable to the trap of taking without giving (also a reference to my Christmas spirit right now) and thus we fall prey to the cycle of always wanting things (whether those things be awards, trophies, recognition, you name it). Please, if you don’t listen to anything else I have to say, listen to this:  people were put on this planet for a reason (to interact with and love and get to know). Things were put on this planet for a reason as well (to play with, to drive in, to put presents under). Basically, keep straight in your mind the reasons which distinguish the two. If you do, you’ll become a happier and healthier human being (I promise).