Full Time | Teen Ink

Full Time

As I walked on damp mud early in the morning, crouching down with pain, doing the best I could ever do. I tried my best not to even give up, everyone there understood that I was way under age and they thought that I would be able to handle the job.

After school ended I thought what was I going to do this entire summer as I thought and thought, nothing. I had asked my mother what plans do we have this summer,

She responded “I have no idea what we should even do,”
“I should work with the neighbor!!,” I replied

My mother wanted me to work because the really wasn’t anything to  besides watch tv and I don’t want to spend as much time inside.That same day I went over to my neighbors whose name was Lenny Klein. He was the owner of Klein's Produce, I had worked for him before but this year I wanted to work full time. Once I arrived to his house which was only 1/2 mile away, I saw him in his big tractor pulling away he spotted me and stopped. I asked him
“Do you think I can work with you anytime soon?”

“Well George season hasn’t really started and I only have 4 full time workers so far.”
“ When do you think the season will start?”
“Around the first weeks of July.” He replied
“Ok thanks, have a great day”
“Yep you too,”
I started walking home asked myself,  do I really have to wait one more month before working??
My Mother asked me if it was a yes or no.
I said  “No he will call me anytime in July,”
“July?” she asked
“Yep,”
So I went into my brother’s room and start watching tv. Nothing was really on I just want to sit there and do nothing like many teenagers want to do over their summer. The next day I went outside to check the mail that's when my neighbor spotted me and he pulled over and screamed out the window
“Would you like to work tomorrow I mean there are trees that are needed to be tied.”
“ Sure, That’s fine!,”
“Ok, tomorrow you start at 7 o’clock,”
“Ok thanks!”
I dashed inside my house Screaming
“I GOT THE JOB!”
I was really happy that I actually got it.
My mom and I started preparing things and looking for things that I will be using the during the day. I dashed to my room to check the forecast and the highs were supposed to be up to 85 degrees fahrenheit. Oh man that’s a very high temperature to be working outside, but ok at least I'll be doing something now. It was already 10 at night when I placed my alarm at 6 to wake up it's been awhile that I woke up at six. So then I fell asleep.
Beep, Beep, BEEP, BEEP!! my alarm was going off without me realizing it until it got really loud, loud  enough for me to turn it off. I dragged myself out of bed went to the restroom and then changed to a raggedy dress shirt and a pair of jeans that I am going to use for working only. I got everything that I need and started walking to my door around 6:45 and walked all the way to my neighbor’s house.

Once I got there I meet the other 4 that were working for my boss and said  get in the back of the truck which I did. I loved the fact  to work in the morning because the fresh cool air was blowing in my face. Started the day,  I was told how to tie a baby apple tree to this metal wire - which I don't know the real name of that material is - but I started one of the workers asked me how old I was I told them 13 all of them were surprised that they were seeing a 13 year old working out in a field.  Later on in the day I wanted to ask how many baby trees were there. One of them told me 10,000 apple trees. This going to be a funnnnnnnn week.

When it was the last day of the week there were no clouds in plain sight. Today is going to be the best day of my life. It was nearly noon and the hot steaming sun was burning my skin. The hot boiling sun was burning me through the outside. I felt like I was being overcooked, like a cake being burnt in a bakery because no one is paying attention to it. Afterwards  we headed over back to where we punch out to have lunch. One hour a great break. Still there was no clouds. Iwished for some dark grey clouds to come and make it pour with water : you’d think it came true it didn’t. 2 hours before I was going to leave,the worst of me ever imagining. It was at least 90 degrees with a bright yellow shine coming down. My eyes were almost in tears because so much sunshine was out around that time I was really hoping that the clock will tick a bit faster, It went slower and slower every time I looked. My arms were uncovered but my neck was one told me.

“You should cover up your arms boy, This sun is going to burn those arms pretty badly.”

I barely noticed my arms but they were bright red as a tomato. 

“Ok I will,”
The pain was horrid when I covered them up. It hurt me so bad that when I got my 15 minute break, all I wanted to do was pour water on them but that was only a temporary relief I arms were on fire basily with no way to possibly to put them out. I looked at my watch as I wiped off my face will my sleeve my sleeve was already dripping with sweat. My watch said 3:55 GREAT!!!!!.....  not really because they asked me If i wanted to stay and extra hour.

“Sure that’s no problem, I wait till 5.

But in my mind I was saying  What were you thinking you know it was time for you to go home and you know it.

What I figured out when you're doing something time flies but when you just stick around doing nothing the time will go super slow. But when 5 came around by super fast like a car speeding down the highway. We took the work truck down back the barn where we punched out and there was my boss’s sister Linda. She was the one in charge of counting was gets sold what came in and all. She was handing out checks and making us sign this little paper.
When I got mine there was a little paper attached to it, one little paper that told me everything I earned and what money went where. I looked at it it said $305

Awesome it’s a great amount to work 30 hours. But that was only my overall, my real total was $237. What 237???? where does that come from. I looked why it was less than $305, the reason was because taxes, my social security and other things. This isn’t fair I worked my butt off in this field to work and I got this, what sense does this make???

I walked home and was spotted by My boss he picked me up I was relieved because my feet were aching with pain and yet still walking home. He picked me up in his silver  pick-up truck, and took me home it was not even a minute  because I  lived so close.  Once arriving I didn’t want to get off because my legs have already quit on me, I was limping to my entrance to my

Arriving home I was very HAPPY..... not even a tad bit. After I walked in I showed my mother my check, she was proud I wasn't I told her it was less than I expected

She angrily replied “You should be glad you got something. Now you see how much it sucks working in a field I wanted you to work so you can learn how not finishing your school can end you up there.” 

I was getting a big bug lecture but I actually learned something. Life isn´t my friend i it will never be unless I work for it.  From now on you will appreciate what you earn because soon enough you will be maintaining yourself.