Day in California | Teen Ink

Day in California

December 18, 2015
By isabellatobar BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
isabellatobar BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The hot California sun beating down on me. I looked up, great as I sighed and slouched my shoulders.

“Alright let’s go,” said my mom.


It was another hot, bustling, ninety degree day in Los Angeles. I felt like I was being forced to go up when all I wanted to do was walk around downtown and be a tourist. But my parents had their minds set on this. I am so not in the mood for this.


I looked up and saw a path twisting and turning up a giant hill. I dreaded going up because of the heat, and the aching in my feet already from just thinking about treading up the steep black pavement. This isn’t worth it, it’s really hot and this hill will take way too long to climb up.


“Woah Bella look at this!” my mom exclaimed.


“Hey Bella come look at how cool this is!” I heard my dad’s voice yell out to me.


I didn’t look because I was not in the mood for walking over and I was being very uncooperative.


It was as if I could feel the sizzling black pavement burning through my shoes. The sun's rays were beating down on me and everything around me, I felt like there was no escape of the heat. My legs felt like Jello from walking for so long up such a steep hill. I felt like I was dragging myself up a hill that had no end for some Griffith observatory. I felt as if I was walking for hours on end -- although it was all of 15 minutes.  The same thing continuously repeating, turn, walk, turn, walk, over and over. I removed my eyes from watching my feet I gazed around me and saw buildings becoming more and more visible. However, it felt like I hadn’t moved at all since the beginning. Will this ever end?  I didn’t think it was going to be anything spectacular...but I was completely wrong.


As I finally reached the top it felt as if my feet had fallen off and 100 pounds had just been lifted off of my shoulders. Is this one of those dramatic York peppermint pattie commercial moments when my hair wooshes back I thought to myself: as the wind picked up and blew through my hair and the leaves on the trees around me. I saw big domes which belonged to the observatory; and the view, it was nothing like i’ve ever seen before. I have always seen pictures of the view from the observatory but never did I think it would be so amazing. All of the buildings and their different structures, the houses and how each one was so different from the next. I thought that walking up this hill in the heat was not worth it at all, but once I reached the top I realized I was totally wrong. I also realized that I should have looked at what my parents were pointing out to me because everything was probably really cool. There are so many things that I should explore because I may never see them again. I realized that I want to see a lot of different places and try new things despite what leads up to it all. This is when I learned that I want to travel a lot when I am older.