One Way, Or Another | Teen Ink

One Way, Or Another

By JackE BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
JackE BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan

My mind was racing, I had goosebumps all over my body. I hope we do really well! I learned to keep going even when things don’t go the way they planned. I bolted down towards the field. Nothing but excitement was flowing through my body.

I was wearing nothing but black: black shirt, black hoodie, and black pants. It was like I was in the shadows. I had a concert at a football game for my school, and I play in Percussion (Drums). I play the Tenors: it’s a four-headed drum that has different sized drums on it, it weighs around 20 pounds.  We played 3 songs that had a Pop and Jazz feel to them; Shake it Off, Uptown Funk, and Happy. My friend Trent plays the Tenors like me, And my other friends - Andy, Cameron, and Parker, well; they play the snare
At first, we would march down to the field, then onto the stands. We would wait there and play the fight songs and other cadences while we waited. But the best part is going on the field. We would get in marching formation, and go towards the track. The freshly cut grass was the the smell of the night, stuck in your nose. Whew! That is powerful!
When we started Shake it Off, I noticed my hands were as cold as dry ice, and that’s not good for a drummer. When we were around the middle of the song, I dropped my stick. Dang it! I was scared, but I just let my confidence flow through me, and just played with one hand. I got this, I can do it.
Bang! Bang! Bang! Went the drum. I only payed attention to my drums, and my music. I was just following along to the real song in my head, and I played with courage.
I memorized the whole song, so I knew how to play it right. It was pretty easy. When we were done, the rest of the Drumline thought I was amazing! They’ve never seen something like what I’d have done.
“Nice Jo-” said my friend Trent
“Dude, you did really good, I mean, really good!” screamed his brother Kyle, cutting Trent off
Next year, I hope I don’t mess up. I’ve worked really hard, and still do. So never give up, even if you fail, and try, try again. And then, it actually might work… Hopefully.

Its mine