What Freedom Means To Me | Teen Ink

What Freedom Means To Me

December 18, 2015
By CHope BRONZE, Georgetown, Delaware
CHope BRONZE, Georgetown, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I might walk slow, but I never walk backwards". -Abraham Lincoln


Inside… can’t leave your home past 7:00. You can’t go to school because you’re a girl. You can’t sit with other because you’re black. You can’t express your opinion, especially on the king because you will be tortured. I couldn’t live like this, and if I lived like this, I don’t know what I could do. That’s why freedom means a ton to me.

 

Sure, Britain is free, so is Canada, France, and Japan, ect… but there is 1 America and its not like the rest. The country has diversity. America has learned a lesson on segregation. It was wrong. The US has integrity. The US also has freedom. This means I can choose what I want to do. I can be whatever I want to be. Legally, anyone can come here. In 1995, my parents came to America from Peru, and now my mom is #1 in the women’s Gordo training session, and a worker at a beauty spa, and my dad is an award-winning doctor. The opportunity here is all traced back to freedom. I would not be writing this here, at the school of my choice, if it weren’t for freedom. My parents came here and stayed with someone in Cleveland, Ohio. That night there was a thunderstorm, and my parent had never-ever seen lighting before. So they went outside to watch it, and this is where it all began. My dad ended up going back to college, since he went in Peru, but my mom didn’t. My dad ended up going to Florida with my Mom (of course) and that is where my brother was born. Then he got an offer in Delaware, where I was born, and here I am.


Our integrity and moxy led us to the creations of the automobile, light bulb, airplane, telephone, and led us to our independence. Once, I was in an airport, with my brother, stepbrothers, and dad, because I was picking up my grandma. She was visiting from Peru. We went into a restaurant and saw 2 people in military uniforms. We all dared each other to say hi to them. All of us were scared to do it, but I ended up doing it. “Hi, thanks for what you do”.  They looked genuinely surprised I did that, and they said hi back. I ended up doing it again later that night.
I wouldn’t be here in America, at this school if it weren’t for freedom, and that’s why it means a ton to me.
 


The author's comments:

This was written for my writing assignment and i turned from really not connecting to the piece, to loving the idea.