Reverse! | Teen Ink

Reverse!

By Princess7373 SILVER, Newark, Delaware
Princess7373 SILVER, Newark, Delaware

I guess you could say I never really had good luck when it comes to cars. I had never really driven a car before my sophomore year in drivers ed because no one ever really wanted to teach me. Until one day all of a sudden driving was a big deal but of course only to my older sister who was so excited for me to finally be able to drive us places. She would be the one to start my first occurrence of my bad luck with cars.

It was late one night but not yet dark out around the spring time I want to say around April when my sister asked me to move her car from the driveway onto the street in front of our house. Me knowing that I don’t know much about driving protests right away saying no I don’t feel like it or I don’t want to. But her being my big sister obviously had to tease me saying I was scared to move a car. Then she eventually starts to say that I am going to have to know how to move a car if I ever want to get my license. After being harassed by my lazy sister who just doesn’t want to move her car I say fine and I stand up and grab her keys.

I walk myself right out to the car and I get right in that driver’s seat trying hard to shake my nerves with my older sister and now my younger sister watching me from the window. I just keep telling myself it’s no big deal I just have to reverse a little bit then pull forward it really is no hard task I can do it. So with those encouraging words in my mind I slowly start to reverse out of the driveway taking my time not once ever pressing the gas to scared to fly backwards I just slowly let myself and the car drift out of the driveway. I see good smiles and nods in the window with a big thumbs up everyone is sending signs that I am doing everything right. I’m finally feeling confident enough about myself and never have really driven before.

Then before I knew it I was ready for the next step nothing more than pulling forward and parking the car at this point. As I am feeling ready to move I push the gas ever so lightly or so I thought just to pull up and park and have this awful task finally be over and I went flying backwards. It was at the point where I was in my neighbors front yard almost all the way on their doorstep when I realized oh my god I am never going to live this down I forgot to take the car out of reverse! My sisters start laughing hysterically from the window and my older sister runs out scared the next thing I do might break her car. Scared more now than ever I slowly pull out of my neighbor’s yard and just pull back into the driveway. My sister jumps in the passenger seat now realizing my skill level for driving was lower than she thought. She takes me through the same process all over again backing out and now I am more frustrated then ever done with this whole idea since I’ve already made a fool of myself. But this time I sure did remember to take the car out of reverse before pulling forward.

The truth is I did successfully park the car but another truth is even now that I have my license I’m not very good at parking. Maybe this traumatizing experience ruined my chances at being able to park forever but trust me I have learned to be very cautious when your car is in reverse because you never know what is behind you or who’s yard you might end up in. And that is truly just the beginning of where my bad luck with cars started.