Five Tips to Help You Survive the E.R. | Teen Ink

Five Tips to Help You Survive the E.R.

August 22, 2015
By gabby0311 SILVER, Omaha, Nebraska
gabby0311 SILVER, Omaha, Nebraska
6 articles 0 photos 3 comments

The ER is somewhere that no one enjoys visiting. My experience with the ER was due to Anaphylaxis. I checked into the crowded and sickly nearby ER and waited to be seen. Three hours passed and I was still sitting in the same spot, still not having seen the doctor. Now at this point, I had been experiencing more issues. These issues involved more spreading of hives and some not so minor swelling of my lips. But hey, it wasn’t a big deal because they “didn’t have room for me to be seen”. So I guess they just expected me to die from suffocation in their waiting room. Again, no big deal. So I continued to wait for another two hours. Yes, it’d been five hours and I STILL hadn’t seen the doctor. Finally, they called me back. The doctor looked me over and was Captain Obvious in pointing out that I had hives. Who knew, right? A nurse gave me a couple shots, which helped instantly, and sent me on my way. It was finally over. Except, three hours later, I was back in the ER. Another two hours of waiting to see the doctor and then I was sent to a room with partial curtain walls that enabled me to hear the very sick person on the other side of the curtain. The nurse decided it was time to kick it up a notch with steroids. Which I also learned, was supposed to be the first step, not the second. And we sat and waited…and waited. We waited to see improvement upon my condition. After an hour or so the doctor came back, obviously confused (which was concerning since he’s a professional in the medical field). He looked me over and suddenly came to the deduction that I had somehow gotten Scabies. How did this go from an allergic reaction to a sexually transmitted disease?! The doctor left us again. The nurse returned to tell us that there was no way I had Scabies, (he also worked as a paramedic) and had seen Scabies before and knew I didn’t have it. Eventually I was dismissed from the ER after having spent twelve hours total there. I did some reflecting after this horrific experience and decided everyone should be aware of the five most important tips when visiting the ER.

 

FIVE TIPS FOR ER VISITS


1. Do NOT be afraid. Yes, there are extremely sick people everywhere breathing the same air as you but the chances of you catching a disease that will end your life are pretty slim. On the other side of the spectrum however, I don’t recommend getting friendly and close with the other patients in the waiting room. Just keep to yourself and wait to be seen and then when you are released, leave immediately.
2. If there is no getting around the fact that you have to use the bathroom while waiting, use precaution. There’s a reason they provide paper toilet-seat covers; they are meant to be used. If you need to, use more than one…or two just to be safe. Oh and always, always wash and sanitize your hands.
3. Be prepared to wait. Chances are you aren’t the only person who is visiting the ER that same day; someone is always sick. You may have to wait several hours. Remember: they see people based on how severe the conditions are. That being said, if you have to exaggerate a little, it wouldn’t hurt. It might get you back there sooner so you can get out of there quicker.
4. Trust the nurses more than the doctors. All the doctors really do is look at you, tell nurses what to do, and prescribe you drugs. Makes you rethink the whole doctors have the answer to everything concept, huh? Nurses are the ones who give shots, advice, and medicine. They basically care for you and help you while the doctor just overlooks the whole situation.
5. Mind over matter. Always remember that you are there because it’s (hopefully) your last option. Forget all the health concerns surrounding you and focus on curing your own medical issues. And while getting poked and prodded constantly for hours sucks, it’s a necessary evil when you need medical attention. Try your best to ignore the shots and focus on what it will feel like when it’s all over.


BONUS TIP: Always remember to keep your cool. Whatever you are thinking of doing, it’s probably not worth it.