Is This How Family Is Treated? | Teen Ink

Is This How Family Is Treated?

By MindBlown182 BRONZE, Houston, Texas
MindBlown182 BRONZE, Houston, Texas

You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view-until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.

Today I don't understand why she did it, why she took something that meant something to me. She was my family and yet she did this to me. She took something that was rightfully mine! I rightfully deserved everything he had but she took it all. I tried to take the one thing that they didn't take but she snatched it from me. She snatched what was rightfully mine when I was a child. A child! Imagine a woman taking the one thing she hasn't taken from a child. This woman was my family, someone we'd visit time to time and she did that to me. I was in tears as she hugged what was mine. It wasn't anything important but it meant so much to me. It meant that he tried for us. She took it all away but for what? She saw me crying, she saw me fighting everyone for it, she saw me yelling. What did she do? She stared at me with tears in her eyes and didn't give back what was mine. I thought she would understand of all people but she turned her back to me. I guess it's true when people say, 'betrayl doesn't come from enemies'. I was hurt that she could just take something away from me, out of everything else she took I couldn't have one thing. I was his daughter! Didn't I deserve everything he had! Sure she was his sister but he created me. I was dragged away from the scene and put into a car, crying the whole way home, I didn't even get what was rightfully mine. I lived with that for 7 years, knowing my own family took something that was mine away from me. It still hurts that she did what she did to this day. She never contacted me. She never tried to find me. She never gave back what was rightfully mine. She never apologized. Was this how family was treated? Then I went to visit his apartment again and his brother's wife had fought his sister for what was mine. She had saved it for 7 years knowing she was going to see me again. The memories hit me hard when I saw it. I burst into tears and thanked her for fighting. I never considered his sister family after that day, she wasn't family anymore to me. But I have one question for her if I ever see her again, What would he think of your actions?

My father died when I was 7 years old, I am now 14 years old. He died at a young age and tragically. The item I finally have is his backpack, it wasn't much but inside the backpack was workbooks. My father was Mexican and with that backpack and workbooks inside showed that he was trying to learn English for my brother and I. I would give him a hug when he showed me his work that had good grades. I was angry and hurt when his sister took that backpack from me. I was family, wasn't I? I now have the backpack with all his work and I finally feel I have closure.