Losing My Best Friend | Teen Ink

Losing My Best Friend

April 3, 2015
By AlexQ SILVER, Aguada, Other
AlexQ SILVER, Aguada, Other
7 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
“I write to give myself strength. I write to be the characters that I am not. I write to explore all the things I'm afraid of. ”
― Joss Whedon


Isn't it nice when you find your person? It's as if fate was waiting for the right moment to let them stroll into your life and change everything. They understand you, they know you better than you know yourself, and they seem to know what to say exactly when you need it. You became a little more whole with them in your life, or at least that's how it was when I met my best friend.


We had been strangers with familiar faces for years before we actually got to know each other when she moved to my school. We went from barely knowing our names, to becoming close friends in less than six months. I was reluctant to trust her, considering my bad luck streak I had with female friends, but something told me she was different & she was.


I had never experienced what I did with her before. I could be myself without the fear of being judged; I couldn't believe I had found a person that knew about all my quirks and vices and still love me for me.
I could swear on anything that I got to reach friendship nirvana. We were inseparable and in no time at all we had gone through things that I thought would keep us that way. We would text all day and go through most of the night; we would break away from the group at five in the morning to talk; we could spend a whole day together and not run out of things to say, because we would literally talk about everything, anything and all in between.


I don't know when or how we started to drift away, it felt as if it happened from night to day. We didn't fight, no differences, no evident reason why we were straying away from what we were. It's been one of the most painful processes I have ever been through, it's a different type of heart break that I didn't know existed & it can sound like such a petty thing, another melodramatic, teenage problem that would fuse out with time, but I don't think that's case with this. I’m afraid we’re becoming strangers again, but in a different way. I don’t know much about her now, and I can’t help but feel that the girl I knew like the back of my hand stayed with the memories we made some time ago. I wish she knew that I would give anything to go back to the time when I thought it was us against the world. John Green was right when he wrote in his book, Looking for Alaska, when he said ‘you can love someone so much…but you can never love people as much as you can miss them.’


I love her more than I have loved a lot of people in my life, and I've been devastated ever since the thought of losing her crept into my mind. I realized too late that I took her for granted, that I should've treasured the moments I had with her even more. Maybe, we took each other for granted.


I can't help but go back every now and then to all those conversations we had; to those moments I thought we were unbreakable, the memories I remember with the most nostalgia and begin to wonder what went wrong. I can still see the old us in quick glimpses; in stolen glances or the mention of inside jokes, and it keeps me hopeful, which might be a hope that grows in vain.


It's a sad story that no one wants to hear...one that has no ending yet but seems to be heading down the path of an unhappy one. Maybe I'm hoping she'll read this, and something will click back into place and we'll go back to how it was. Being realistic though, I'm writing this to get it off my chest, and in hopes that someone will read this, feel like he or she isn't alone and feeling like you're not alone will make the pain a little more bearable.


The author's comments:

It's a hard thing to go through, and I feel like there isn't enough written about it. Losing a love of your life gets the spotlight, but from experience, I can say this hurts just as much. This is for anyone that may be going through the same thing; know you're not alone.