Temptations | Teen Ink

Temptations

April 1, 2015
By ewalski BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan
ewalski BRONZE, Grandville, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

Can you feel it? The pull? Like of a gigantic magnet drawing you closer by the day to the one thing you can’t have? Oh, but what is that pull? I believe it to be something called temptation. Dun, dun, dun… (dramatic music playing in the background) One temptation that has been on my mind lately, and haunting my dreams, has come to surface because of this torturous practice by the name of lent. I have chosen to give up Starbucks for these forty long, long days. And to be honest, its killing me. Now please, hold the judgment. I know I am a basic white girl, but I am proud of it!
At first, it didn’t bother me much to skip the treat on the weekends. As the weeks passed though, I found it getting harder and harder to dismiss my craving for a grande java chip frappuccino with two pumps of toffee-nut and caramel drizzle on top. I have even had nightmares about it. Scary, I know. I was just sitting there, delightfully sipping my drink when all of a sudden I was like, “I can’t have this! I gave it up for lent!” So I put it in the fridge for later, because it was obviously going to last for another two weeks until Easter. That moment right there, when even in my dreams I was unable to enjoy my beloved drink, ripped me to pieces. I was truly broken inside… Okay, that’s a little over dramatic, but it was still kind of disheartening.
Now I can handle not having Starbucks for a little while because first, I am a strong person, obviously, and second, I wouldn’t have the money to buy them anyways. But to make matters worse, and I’m not complaining what so ever, but I have recently received two Starbucks giftcards with a decent amount of money on them. It’s like people want me to suffer. Usually I only get gifts like that for my birthday or Christmas, but now I get two within the period of lent. Like, what is life?
I find that there are many temptations in life, whether they be big or small. For me mostly small, thank goodness. But how you decide to do deal with these temptations, in my opinion, shows a lot about your character. So far I have succeeded in steering clear of my Starbucks temptation, fist bump for me with jellyfish exit, and I feel accomplished that I am able to resist the pull. This is just a little matter though compared to for instance, the temptation to take drugs. Although I have never been in that serious of a situation, I would like to think that I would be able to say no and recognise what is good or bad for me. But I have to admit, some temptations are just too great. For example, eating junk food. You'll find that the phrase, “I’ll run it off later” is a major part of my day to day vocabulary.
So maybe next year I will give up something more tempting, more of a sacrifice, something that would make me suffer even more than the loss of Starbucks. Chocolate maybe? Or sweets altogether? Cranberry Juice? Oh man! This is making me hurt already. I have a year to prepare myself though… better get started!