Fruits and Vegetables | Teen Ink

Fruits and Vegetables

By SizzlingDiamond BRONZE, Kountze, Texas
SizzlingDiamond BRONZE, Kountze, Texas

Many people nowdays think fruits and vegetables are the same thing. People often get confused with fruits and vegetables. Some of the differences between them are the meaning, seeds, and taste.

The meaning of fruits is, "The ripened ovarioes of flowering plants". Whereas, the meaning of vegetables is, "The eateable parts of plants". Coming back to fruits they must contain seeds (inside or outside). Vegetables don't contain seeds. Fruits are mostly sweet, sometime tangy with bitter seeds. Vegetables can sometimes be sour, salty, bitter, or sweet.

Some of the similarities between them are the nutrition, type, where they come from, and popular methods of cooking. Both fruit and vegetables are low in calories and fat. They are high in fiber and sugar. They are also whole foods. Meaning that it has been produced free from additives or other artificial substances, and ith has been processed as little as possible. Both (fruits and vegetables) come from the ground. Some popular methods of cooking fruits nad vegetables are grilling, baking, boiling, and blending.

"Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting a tomato in a fruit salad." This quote is by "Maels Kington". Remember not all fruits are vegetables and not all vegetables are fruits.

My name is Saniya Shahzad and I'm 13 years old. I'm currently attending Kountze Middle School. What inspired me to write this is that a lot of people get confused between a fruit and a vegetable, and they tend to consider a fruit a vegetable, and a vegetable a fruit. So in order to clear that confusion I wrote an essay explaining the differences and similarities between a fruit and a vegetable.