What I Love | Teen Ink

What I Love

By -Chase SILVER, Defiance, Ohio
-Chase SILVER, Defiance, Ohio

It’s hard to determine one object that I “love.”  Since I am being forced to choose just one, I will choose my dog.  Why did I choose my dog over the meals I have the privilege to eat, over the education I am also privileged to have, over the long life I am allowed to live?  The reason is because I am a middle-class, white, male teen; I have nothing else to worry about.  In choosing my dog, I must show support.  My dog is named Reeses.  She is a wiener dog that is incredibly loyal and loving.  She teaches me lessons I would have not have learned without her.  She always runs up to whomever and rolls over asking for a belly rub.  She trusts these people not to hurt her in any way.  She jumps on my leg excited to see me.  My dog is a bucket full of kisses.  Though sometimes obnoxious, they’re a good pick-me-up.  I have learned about life through a dog’s eyes.  She will not turn against you, love someone more/less than you, nor will she ignore you.  It’s fun to see her face when she sees your face.  On the outside, she is always happy; I can relate.  She eats when she is ready to eat and plays outside and indoors the rest of the time.  Not everyday is there a good reason to go outside.  We are all cooped up inside; she’s an inspiration to leave our isolation.  If I feed her, she feeds me.  Although that sounds weird, it is very true.  She feeds me the attention my anxious, middle-class, bratty teen self needs.  She doesn’t discriminate her affection to any color; they’re all grey.  My dog is just dog-gone amazing (pun intended).  I love her for the happiness she brings to everyone.  I love her for the care she shows to me.  She loves whom she wants to love.  I feel like all of us can learn from that.