A Letter to Myself or How to Make it to the End of This School Year | Teen Ink

A Letter to Myself or How to Make it to the End of This School Year

March 25, 2015
By Dana Phillips BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia
Dana Phillips BRONZE, Atlanta, Georgia
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The next week or so seem to have just ballooned with deadlines and responsibilities over the past few days. You, of course, blame yourself, as, of course, you probably should. You always knew that your habit of, not procrastinating, no, but of simply waiting for the right time to complete whatever needs to be done, would come back to bite you. It has before and it probably always will. But despite how it happened, the amount of due dates and imminent zeros staring you in the face right now is daunting. It’s second semester of junior year, “crunch time” as concerned adults love to tell you. You can’t afford to start slipping now. But luckily you have, not quite a plan, but a vague and possibly attainable outline for how to turn in your late work, pass most of your tests, keep up a life outside of school, and not pass out from exhaustion in the process.

First, focus on school, friend. Odds are, you let yourself get far too easily distracted by things that are important, but not your main focus. You can wait to learn how to drive. You don’t have to spend countless hours researching summer programs. You should spend all your time flipping through scholarship books when your current school’s work is done. These other things are also extremely important, but what’s the point of having a license if you fail the eleventh grade? Why look at colleges you won’t have a chance of getting into if you don’t do your work?
Second, spend less time with your friends. You’re a very sociable person, sure. You love to go out to eat. You love going to the movies. You love weekends at the park and afternoons at Starbucks. But the sad truth is, you can’t get work done and socialize at the same time. Spending each and every minute with your girlfriend is your new favorite hobby, Retro Theatre Wednesdays are your favorite tradition, but where does it end. Draw a line, friend, and stick to it.
Third, hoard your time like gold and stop just handing it away to other people. Don’t be afraid to say no. Skip soccer practice sometimes. Tell the orchestra directors over at your youth orchestra that passing school is a thing you intend to do. Tell Sammy that fiddle club will have to wait. Outside of your family, no one deserves your time more than you, and sometimes that rule doesn’t apply either. Your sister is thirteen and needs to start doing things on her own. Don’t spend every available afternoon catering to her every whim.
Fourth, breathe. Know that no matter what happens, you’ll be okay, your parents will still love you, your lungs will most likely keep inflating and deflating. Don’t stress yourself out too much, because, according to medical journals of moderate acclaim, too much stress and lack of sleep can lead to health issues. You don’t want health issues.
So don’t let the terrifying wall of due dates and commitments get to you too much. Keep doing well, do your best, and know that summer will be here soon.
   

     Sincerely,
      A Concerned Party