The Day I Found My Bestfriend | Teen Ink

The Day I Found My Bestfriend

By Logan Tijerina GOLD, Defiance, Ohio
Logan Tijerina GOLD, Defiance, Ohio

I grabbed my ticket to watch the cheer competition from the table and quickly went through the entrance to the stadium’s bleachers.  I came straight from volleyball practice, so my appearance wasn’t the best; but I didn’t have time for little, inferior problems.  Meeting a friend I hadn’t seen in what felt like forever had me in a hurry. I was ecstatic to see him!  The stands were so crowded, and it seemed nearly impossible to find him.  Right when I about gave up, he stood and yelled my name.  The biggest smile grew on my face, and I ran up to see him.  The whole time I hoped I wouldn’t trip and fall, and thankfully I didn’t.  We sat and watched the competition together. 
Afterward, we rode rides and played games together.  It was so much fun spending time with just the two of us because I feel like we saw sides of each other we might not have been able to see around other people. We bought frozen lemonade that sloshed in my stomach like a wave pool as we rode rides together.   “I’m so afraid I’m going to get sick in front of you!”  I laughed as we were spinning around in circles.  “Me too,” he yelled as the ride was in full swing. “Let’s ride the ferris wheel after this!”  Thankfully, riding it was relaxing and still fun.  Even getting stuck at the top of the ferris wheel was exciting!  Seeing the view was great, but the person I shared it with was even more amazing.  We had so many laughs just being ourselves around each other.    
Afterward, we walked around, talking and catching up--and not just small talk, but real genuine conversation.  I honestly couldn’t stop admiring him.  It had been a long time since I’d seen him, and he had me infatuated.  He looked amazing.   His eyes and his smile were absolutely stunning, and he had an adorable laugh.  I’ve had crushes on boys before, but this time it felt different.  I had never felt this kind of happy before.  It was as if all the sadness that had been filled inside my head and my heart vanished into thin air.  I had never met someone who made my heart beat a million miles a minute when I didn’t want it to beat at all.  The pool of depression I was drowning in became inexistent, and my spirits that elevated when I was with him oppressed every forsaken, desolate feeling I’ve ever had.  It was then that I realized that I couldn’t let a guy like him go.  Huge butterflies raged in my stomach as I reached over to grab his dangling hand.  I watched his smile grow as he gladly accepted.  To this day I still get butterflies whenever I see him.  We talked and laughed for hours, and I didn’t want it to end.  
At the end of the night, we had spent every exhilarating second possible together, but sadly he had to go due to his curfew.  I hugged him for the first time, and it was perfect.  He wrapped his arms tightly around me and pulled me in.  It was very long and meaningful, and there’s honestly no place I would have rather been than in his arms in that very moment.  Right as let go to walk away, he grabbed my hand, looked at me with his beautiful big blue eyes, and asked me to be his girlfriend.  “Of course!” I exclaimed as I jumped back into his arms.  He spun me around and then put me back on the ground.  I was so happy.  We then walked our separate ways, and I looked back to see him one last time before I left, just to see he was doing the same.  We smiled at each other one last time, and then he turned to walk home.  I smiled the whole way back to the stadium. 
The butterflies in my stomach were still raging as I lay in bed that night.  I had a million different projects to do, but I could only think about him.  It was the first night I had gone to bed happy in a long time.  It was then that I realized not only is he my boyfriend, but my bestfriend.  I rolled over and fell asleep with a smile on my face.