Adopt Me | Teen Ink

Adopt Me MAG

There are many young children whose parents abandon them and are left with no one to care for them. Luckily I was not put in that situation.

My biological father was abusive of my mother, so it was hard for her, being 22 years old and having to put her life on hold to raise my sister and me. I grew up not knowing my father. “The sperm donor” (as my sister called him) took off because he couldn’t handle being a father. I grew up not knowing him until one day he wanted to see me.

My life was changed by meeting him. It was a horrible mistake and made me want to forget that half of me, forget where I got my dark hair and the color of my eyes. I saw him a few more times but in the end, it still wasn’t a good idea. There were too many questions I wanted answered, including why he couldn’t live up to his end of being a dad. When I had no dad, all I wanted was to be loved by him, but he thought I was a mistake and should never have been born.

I tried to get to know him, but he just pushed me aside - until one day when his mother (my grandmother) was dying. He said he wanted my sister and me to come to the hospital and give her some reason to live. Well, I put myself through hell and went. She’s still alive, all these years later.

Growing up, there are certain things a child needs, and one is having both parents. I didn’t have a real dad until I was a junior in high school. That was the most fantastic summer; my mom married a great guy who wanted to be my dad. It was my decision and a chance I wanted to take. Growing up without a dad had been hard, but that summer my mother’s husband stood up in court and said he wanted to be my dad. I was scared, but my dream had finally come true.

My dad and I have nothing in common but we get along great. My name has been changed and when I visit his side of the family, everyone opens their arms to my sister and me. I feel like everything has changed. I have a dad who loves me and will be there to support me. The whole experience has changed my perspective on life. I have a dad, can you believe it? I’m finally daddy’s little girl. c

elarebadaxe SILVER, Portage, Michigan

OCCUPY MORDOR: because one ring shouldn't be allowed to rule them all.

Great story! I have never known what it would be like to live without a dad, but your story helped me to see what that would be like:)

writerfreak89 BRONZE, Hermiston, Oregon

It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. -Leo Rosten

I am so happy for you. You did a great job on this story. God Bless